My First MacBook Pro Ever ... several questions.

Reaction score
Hey

I finally got tired of my crappy Acer Aspire 5315 and decided to switch. I used before a quad core desktop which I assembled myself, but since I left country, left it as an office machine for my father.
I ordered one week ago, a MacBook Pro, 17 inch, standard configuration plus Matte Display. It came pretty cheap at 1.600 euros due to my university card plus an english office license.

I have several questions ...

1)

On the Dutch AppStore I get this ...

Verzonden op: Nov 5, 2009
Verwachte leverdatum: 13 Nov, 2009 – 16 Nov, 2009

If I click on “Volg deze zending”

I get this …

Shipped to XXX, NL 05 Nov 2009
Estimated Delivery Date (Subject to change) 16 Nov 2009 (Subject to change)
Current Delivery Status In Transit to Customer – Shipment on Schedule 09 Nov 2009
Signed by

Today is 9′th, was expecting a change, to get the UPS number or TNT number, however I still have blasted criptic message

Merge In Tnst NL Til

I order the MacBook Pro + Microsoft Office Student Edition English version. Maybe should have dropped the Office … Will it arrive on the 16′th?

2) When it arrives, do I need to charge it fully? Or I can just plug it in and enjoy?

3) Will it have Snow Leopard installed by default?

4) What kind of games will I be looking forward to run on Windows or Mac OS X on my new MacBook Pro

Oh ... and the wait is so painfully long ... :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP/2.53GHz i5/4GB RAM/500GB HDD/15" LED Screen/Intel HD Graphics & NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M
1) Can't answer that myself - sorry
2) Plug it in and start using it.
3) It will either have SL pre-installed or Leopards installed and all you will have to do is upgrade using the SL disc that will be in the box. I'm betting SL will be installed already.
4) Loads of games available for Mac and Windows. Just Google!

OP
A
Reaction score
1) Can't answer that myself - sorry
2) Plug it in and start using it.
3) It will either have SL pre-installed or Leopards installed and all you will have to do is upgrade using the SL disc that will be in the box. I'm betting SL will be installed already.
4) Loads of games available for Mac and Windows. Just Google!

OMG, they are preparing it to give it to the final carrier. Im gonna have it soon :p

So, the SL disk is in the box then. Ok, good to know. Can the SL disk be used on my roomate 13 inch MacBook Pro? I mean ... is it legal?

I know there are many games for mac. This was not my question. My question is if my Macbook Pro can handle those games, or do I need something stronger like a quad core etc.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Illegal and no it won't work anyway.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
The computer will most likely already have Snow Leopard installed on the computer. You will get disks but it will be disks for you to restore your computer and is only for that machine.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Can SL be used to upgrade the 13" - legally, no - your license for use of SL does not apply to a second persons computer. I'll leave that one alone there :) Besides - if he's got the 13" MBP, he has Leopard on it, and it's only $29 to upgrade to SL, so we're not talking major investment here...

Can it handle games - yes. The 17" standard config you got - assuming you bought a brand new one, is a 2.8 GHz C2D, 4 Gig ram, 9600M GT. I have a friend whom I had sold my previous gaming laptop to - a MSI 2.4 GHz that can OC to 2.8 GHz, 9600mGT GPU, 15" and he plays COD4, Left4Dead (1 and 2) and quite a few other games on it. I don't see any reason why you couldn't on that macbook - you may not be able to do full rez (you'll have to test) and some games will work better in windows then on OSX (this can occur on games originally made for windows later ported to OSX - ie: on my mac pro, I have the OSX and windows version of COD4 - I get 2-4x the framerate on the windows side then I do on the OSX side - but this is due to the way the game was ported from windows)

Enjoy your new lappy!

OP
A
Reaction score
Heh, it's still blocked on "Preparing shipment for final carrier" ...
Thanks for the tips guys anyways, im going to grab today a magic mouse in expectation :p

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.