• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Sold my wife's MacBook

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
in like 30 minutes on ebay. Not her MacBook Pro, but the one she replaced with the MacBook Pro. I listed it for $300 with a buy it now for $400. and it was gone. It was a 1.83 Intel CD upgraded to 80Gb HDD and 2GB RAM. i was just amazed. had to let yall know.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Congrats. That does seem like a bargain, considering how much some people are willing to pay for older Macs I've seen go on eBay.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Congrats. That does seem like a bargain, considering how much some people are willing to pay for older Macs I've seen go on eBay.
$400 is pretty much right on target for that machine.

The people that pay more for Macs only do so because they don't do enough research before they buy them.
They are usually inexperienced with Apple computers and harbor the flawed mentality that "Macs just cost more", so they are blindly content with paying 4X what an older Mac is actually worth.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I purchased a Core 2 Duo 2.0ghz late 2006 MacBook back in August for $400...an absolutely great price at the time, since Mac2sell.com said it was worth about $750.

About a week later I came across a 17" 2.33ghz Core 2 Duo Late 2006 MacBook Pro...and paid $725 for it. Again an absolutely great price at the time since Mac2sell.com valued it at $1350!

So for about 10 weeks I tried to sell the MacBook on Craig's List...and had absolutely the worst time trying to sell it...too many "flakey" people! I almost had it sold about 10-12 times over the 10 weeks...just to have the deals fall thru at the last minute due to indecisive buyers!:(

I finally put it on e-Bay...and sold it 4 days into a 7 day auction for the "Buy It Now" price of $675 (remember I paid $400 for it 10 weeks earlier)...and this was shortly after the newly updated "Late 2009" White MacBook was released!:)

I was definitely pleased that it was sold!:)

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I'm so leery of selling big ticket items on eBay anymore. I've heard of so many scams and issues with PayPal, I'm just terrified to put anything out there. I've been kicking around selling this one and going with a 13" MacBook Pro (I think I'd prefer the smaller size), but I'm not sure I'd get as lucky as I did last time I sold one (happened to find someone local on this site).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm so leery of selling big ticket items on eBay anymore. I've heard of so many scams and issues with PayPal, I'm just terrified to put anything out there. I've been kicking around selling this one and going with a 13" MacBook Pro (I think I'd prefer the smaller size), but I'm not sure I'd get as lucky as I did last time I sold one (happened to find someone local on this site).

I totally understand how you feel about eBay!!! That's why I wasted 10 weeks trying to sell my MacBook I had on my local Craig's List...but in the end my eBay MacBook auction went smoother than I expected.

I previously sold only 2 computers on eBay...and they went ok as well...I'm usually an eBay buyer.

And like you mentioned, I also had my concerns with Paypal...especially due to all of the "Nigeria" scams...and all of the fake Paypal "phishing" scam webpages.

But in the end the Paypal transfer for my MacBook went fine as well.

If you're logging into your official Paypal.com account (I always pay very very close attention to the webpage address field in my browser to make sure I'm logging into the proper website)...the money transfer from the buyer was there...and I always wait until the transaction says "completed" before I do any shipping.

I was so paranoid...that I checked my Paypal account balance about 7 times before I shipped the computer 24 hours later...for some strange reason expecting the money to disappear! But no problems!:)

In the end...I was probably more fearful that the computer was going to get damaged by UPS during the shipping (so I bought insurance like I always do just in case)!

- Nick

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i sold my iBook G4 12" on ebay also. never once had a problem. i do not sell that much on ebay anyway.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wish I had the $$$ at the time FF, I would have bought that Macbook off you. I still use my 12" Last Gen iBook but really need an Intel Mac. Very good price. I do agree with DB though, that is about the worth, but most people try and get way more and people pay it.

OP
fearlessfreap24
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
it was an ebay store that bought it. i think they are going to junk the HDD, add a larger HDD, and load it with leopard or snow leopard and resell it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.