Parallels = sluggish Mac

Reaction score
I recently started a new job and it requires that I use a lot of PC-only programs. I thought "no problem, I'll just use Parallels."

But here's the thing. Whenever I use Parallels, my Mac gets really sluggish and doesn't register all of my mouse clicks (trackpad click still works). And I don't just mean while I'm using Parallels, the problems persist even after I quit the program. The only way to get things back to normal is by rebooting. Anyone know of a fix?

FWIW, I'm using a Logitech wireless USB mouse.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Would help if we had your model and specs and OS. >_>"

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How much RAM did you allocate to your Windows VM? Sounds like you're running short on memory.

OP
D
Reaction score
How much RAM did you allocate to your Windows VM? Sounds like you're running short on memory.

Memory allocation is set to automatic. I'll switch to manual and see if it makes any difference.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The more RAM you allocate to the VM, the less there is for OS X so if anything, you need to lower the amount of RAM you're allocating to your VM. How much does "automatic" allocate?

OP
D
Reaction score
The more RAM you allocate to the VM, the less there is for OS X so if anything, you need to lower the amount of RAM you're allocating to your VM. How much does "automatic" allocate?

I'm not sure how much automatic allocates, it just says "Automatic." But regardless, shouldn't my Mac go back to normal after I shut down Parallels?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Which version of Parallels are you using?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.53GHz; 4GB RAM; GeForce 9400M
Hmm, you might want to try out the new version and see if that fixes the issues you have been having. Otherwise, try setting the virtual RAM for Windows to 2-3GB.

There should also be an option to set the optimization to performance of Windows or Mac applications in general.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.