How good does Windows run on Mac?

Reaction score
I'm enrolled in a Computer Application degree program through college.

Most of the courses have Office applications that run, including Word 2007, Excel 2007, Access 2003 or higher, MS Visio 2000 or higher, Office Project Standard 2007, as well as a few others (Photoshop, etc).

Since I have such distaste for PC's, and we already own 2 Mac's (iMac and MacBook - both Intel), I am considering a Mac mini for my college studies.

My question is this...would I be able to adequately run the above programs installed under XP or Vista on the mini using Bootcamp, or eventually Parallels if I find the need to switch back and forth between them?

I am looking at the lesser expensive mini, but with the 4GB RAM.

Thank you!
Andy

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
It's better to run those kinds of applications through bootcamp. Virtual PCs use a lot of RAM and CPU power, especially on things like Photoshop.

OP
S
Reaction score
That's what I was just reading. I don't really foresee the need to be able to switch between OS's so I'll stick with Bootcamp.

Reaction score
I use Sun's VirtualBox (free), and I'm happy with the performance...especially with Office stuff. I don't have PS, but I do use PaintShop Pro with no problems. I like being able to switch back and forth without having to reboot.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Windows on a Intel Mac under Bootcamp (which runs Windows Natively) runs as good as it would on the same hardware on a Windows notebook.

Reaction score
Office applications will run just as quickly in a virtual machine as they would under Boot Camp. Photoshop would be the only application to consider running natively under Boot Camp. You can, however, create a virtual machine from Boot Camp partition (better with Vista or Win7) and have it both ways. Considering VirtualBox is free and both Fusion and Parallels are very inexpensive, I would suggest you consider that. You really don't need to reboot for the Office suite and related apps.

Cheers

Reaction score
Since I have such distaste for PC's, and we already own 2 Mac's (iMac and MacBook - both Intel), I am considering a Mac mini for my college studies.

Why do you have such distaste for PC's?

Anyway, since Apple made it so easy to run windows in their mac, why not just go the bootcamp route? Nothing to it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.