book layout software

Reaction score
Does anyone use book layout software? If so which one? Does anyone know anything about Apple Pages? I am thinking of going into book layout design and am not sure what software to get. I understand Quark and InDesign are the 2 most commonly used but was wondering if there are other ones that are accepted as well? Any help? thanks. Stephanie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Depends a bit on which Mac you have and what you are trying to do but i have trashed Office and stuck with Pages since 2007. Pages 08 and 09 give the choice of Word Processor or Page Layout with heaps of templates which give a good range of choices.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends a bit on which Mac you have and what you are trying to do but i have trashed Office and stuck with Pages since 2007. Pages 08 and 09 give the choice of Word Processor or Page Layout with heaps of templates which give a good range of choices.

Yeah but Pages is not meant to make books. There is a difference between a one page document and facing pages in a magazine, or book. Plus you don't have nearly the amount of control of type setting from a word processing program VS. a Page layout program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
AS far as layout goes, for someone going in to graphic design professionally, then InDesign (or really Adobe Creative Suite) is the way to go.

IMO, Quark Xpress is dying out slowly - but is still in use by many publishing houses.

If you don't have the money then there is the open source Scribus, that will help you get to grips with a decent layout programme without spending any cash.

As for what programs are acceptable to printers, then Indesign and Quark are the standards. That said, most printers accept hi resolution PDF, so Scribus would not present an impediment to getting your design printed professionally, if that's what you are eventually going to do.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" i7 iMac 2.8 Ghz, 1TB, 8GB RAM | 13" MBP 2.53Ghz 320GB HD, 4G RAM | iPad 2 64GB+3G *WHITE*
AS far as layout goes, for someone going in to graphic design professionally, then InDesign (or really Adobe Creative Suite) is the way to go.

I agree InDesign is the way to go and what I would use personally. But that is if you can afford it. It is kind of a pricey program.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HOME: imac 24", 2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO, 4GB ram, 640GB HD.WORK:G5 Dual 2.7 GHz, 8GB ram
Another vote for Adobe InDesign, Quark is now a distant second on that short list.
I work for a commercial printing company and anything other than the 2 mentioned apps is not looked upon to kindly.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Another vote for Adobe InDesign, Quark is now a distant second on that short list.
I work for a commercial printing company and anything other than the 2 mentioned apps is not looked upon to kindly.

In the end it shouldn't matter when it goes to print. Assuming you export it to print correctly where all the fonts and images are in a folder.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
HOME: imac 24", 2.66GHZ INTEL CORE 2 DUO, 4GB ram, 640GB HD.WORK:G5 Dual 2.7 GHz, 8GB ram
In the end it shouldn't matter when it goes to print. Assuming you export it to print correctly where all the fonts and images are in a folder.

:D I'll tell the guys here at work that. Next time a job comes in created in publisher or an old version of pagemaker.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
:D I'll tell the guys here at work that. Next time a job comes in created in publisher or an old version of pagemaker.

LOL, Pagemaker.

Reaction score
InDesign gets my vote everytime! I don't really like quark, but I am running an old version.

Another option is Corel Draw. It's pretty good for multipage documents, but doesn't have the features InDesign has for books.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.