Move software from Parallels XP VM to Bootcamp Windows 7?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15, 2.8 GHz, 500Gb, Mac OS 10.6.1, Parallels Win XP, Bootcamp Win 7
Hi,

I wonder what is the best (easiest/safest?) way to transfer programs (and document files, but that is easier I imagine) from my XP Pro in Parallels 4 to my Bootcamp Windows 7 (on the same Mac) and detailed instructions to do this? I have some downloaded (legal) software (i.e. sigmaplot11,etc) that I do not have a disc for and I am not sure how I can transfer them to my new OS.

I have a MBP with Snowleopard and all software up to date as of today.

I am also considering migrate over to windows 7 through Parallels in addition to Bootcamp and then plan to erase my XP VM when that is up and working. Any tips/links on how that would work and how to make it work (I have seen some advices how you can run the same OS in both Bootcamp and Parallels)?

Thanks!!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I wonder what is the best (easiest/safest?) way to transfer programs (and document files, but that is easier I imagine) from my XP Pro in Parallels 4 to my Bootcamp Windows 7 (on the same Mac) and detailed instructions to do this? I have some downloaded (legal) software (i.e. sigmaplot11,etc) that I do not have a disc for and I am not sure how I can transfer them to my new OS. I have a MBP with Snowleopard and all software up to date as of today.

Transferring document files is straight forward. Just copy all your documents to an external source (key drive, external HDD, etc) and then on over to Win 7. Programs can not be copied or even migrated because they need to make registry entries in Win 7 to work right. Programs will have to be reinstalled from their original media or image.

I am also considering migrate over to windows 7 through Parallels in addition to Bootcamp and then plan to erase my XP VM when that is up and working. Any tips/links on how that would work and how to make it work (I have seen some advices how you can run the same OS in both Bootcamp and Parallels)? Thanks!!

Since XP can not be upgraded to Win 7, you will have to create a new VM for Win 7 and install it. (The same holds true for copying documents and programs that I stated above.)

You can use your Boot Camp installation of Win 7 as a VM from within Parallels if you wish. That would be another choice instead of installing it again from a new VM. The only reason to use Boot Camp for running Windows is if you need the graphics power and 3D rendering for games or other programs such as CAD.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15, 2.8 GHz, 500Gb, Mac OS 10.6.1, Parallels Win XP, Bootcamp Win 7
Thanks for the reply!

OK, I guess I just have to contact the software companies and see if I can reinstall the downloaded programs in my new OS. Or is there a way to make an image of programs in my XP and transfer it to Win 7? A bit clueless about the workings of program installation details (obviously...:)

I already have windows 7 (full version) on bootcamp working just fine, so I will just try to direct a VM in Parallels to it. Indeed, I want to use bootcamp for games, but Parallels for "the rest".

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacOS Sonoma
Some smaller programs can be copied straight across from XP or Vista to Windows 7. Try running the transferred program to see if it works, if not, then the programs has dependancies which will be stored in Windows\System32 or in the registry. If the program has dependancies then you need to do a full install on Windows 7.

A useful tool to have is 'Dependancy Walker' which can check programs to see what DLLs and ActiveX files it needs to run: Dependency Walker (depends.exe) Home Page

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.