XP image isn't bootable

Reaction score
I have a Mac, and my company doesn't like Mac folks. They won't provide much in the way of support. What I am trying to do is install Windows XP SP3 on to my MBP. I am running snow leopard and I do have the latest Fusion installed.

Here is the problem that I am facing. I have the entire contents of the installation CD, but it isn't in an ISO/DMG format (it is just a folder). I burned the folder, but when I try to boot from it, I get a message saying that the image isn't bootable.

I have spent about two hours trying to figure out what it would take to make this thing bootable, but just can't figure it out. There is some information for Windows machines, but I have found nothing specific to Mac. The closest that I have found is about copying a bootable image and burning it.

Any help is appreciated!

Reaction score
I think that if I tell you how to make that folder bootable, I would not be in compliance with the US Law, which is followed to the letter, on this forum.

Because you have a folder of the OS on your computer, it leads me to believe that the copy you are referring to is one of an illegal origin, therefore I cannot help you on this matter.

Get yourself a legal CD or DVD and we will help you in any way we can.
If you already happen to have that copy of XP, then I suggest you use it, as it is already bootable.

OP
C
Reaction score
I understand your concern, but I am not sure what makes it illegal? My understanding is that my company pays Microsoft for what is basically a site license. The "media" that I was given was a network folder with the installation files and key, but is not an iso image.

If you don't want to help, then don't, but I don't appreciate your condescending remark. I have not pirated some version of Windows and I don't like you implying that I have.

Reaction score
Well, I you interpreted my remark as a condescending one then I apologize, it sure wasn't intended.

And sorry about the mishap about the folder, you have to understand, we get alot of questions about illegal pirated software, and if there's even a hint of a discussion going that way, we must give that person a heads-up.

I'll post back with a solution as soon as possible CoryNardin.;D

EDIT: On this page you'll find everything you need to get it done.;D

Reaction score
I think the folder is intended for you to put the contents on a network drive, from which you can later boot off.
That's an option as well.

OP
C
Reaction score
I checked with our corporate policy and this is there official word:

The Enterprise Agreement allows SAIC employees the right to use the following products on any company-owned computer:

* Operating Systems: Windows XP Professional.
* Applications: Microsoft Office 2003 Professional Suite - Includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Access, InfoPath, and Publisher licenses.
* Client Access Licenses (CALs): Windows, SMS, SQL, SharePoint Portal, and Exchange.

Employees do not need to purchase licenses or maintenance for these products. Employees are automatically covered under the Enterprise Agreement and can use the above products and subsequent version upgrades during the term of the agreement. It should be noted that server versions are NOT provided for those products where client access licenses are supplied. Server versions may be purchased under the Select Agreement.

The Enterprise Agreement covers all SAIC staff and subsidiaries except SAIC Frederick and any staff working full-time at customer sites where the customer provides hardware and software. Temporary, payrolling, and new employees are also covered under the Enterprise Agreement and may use the Enterprise software without purchasing additional licenses. Independent contractors are NOT covered under the agreement.

I looked at the post and I have a few problems:
* The instructions are based on using Nero (on a PC)
* I think that I already have the boot image files, but this is the part that is confusing me.

I have three files that resemble to me boot image files:
* BOOTCAT.BIN
* BOOTIMG.BIN
* IMAGE1.BIN

From what I have read earlier today there is a special way that you need to point to the correct boot file. Something about the El Torito structure.

OP
C
Reaction score
I just noticed the second option, booting off of a network drive. How does that work?

Reaction score
I have no experience with booting off a Windows networkdrive, but I'm sure there are people here that do.
I just know it's possible, and since you pointed out it's a network folder, my simple logic says that if you copy the contents (note: not the folder) onto the HDD it should boot.

But I might be wrong about that, can't hurt to try though.

Maybe this will help create the bootable CD on your mac.

Or you can use disk utility to make an iso of the contents of the folder and burn that iso, also in disk util.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.