Problems booting bootcamp

Reaction score
Hi
I am trying to set up boot camp, I have created the partitioned with no problems. But things have gone wrong with the setup disc for XP, it has come up "disc error" press any key to continue... but nothing happens. If I switch the mac off, when I switch it back on I just get the same message. How do I solve the problem as I can't eject the disc.

It is a genuine copy of XP so the disc should be ok.

Thanks for the help.

Whit

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
It is a genuine copy of XP so the disc should be ok.

Well, it has to be more than just a genuine copy of XP. Boot Camp has very specific requirements. It must either be a full retail version (not upgrade) or 'OEM for System Builders', not an OEM disc with a PC vendor's label (like Dell, HP, eMachines, etc). Also, it needs to have at least SP2 integrated into the disc.

Can you tell us a little more about the disc and where it came from?

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the quick reply.

The copy of XP is "Home copy SP2" the came with my pc all those years ago when xp was relaesed.
Is there any way to abort the disc and delete the set up.

Whit

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the quick reply.

The copy of XP is "Home copy SP2" the came with my pc all those years ago when xp was relaesed.
Is there any way to abort the disc and delete the set up.

Whit

When you restart the machine, press and hold the option key down immediately after turning it on. After a few seconds, a boot options menu will come up. Choose to boot from Macintosh HD.

Once you've done that, go into System Preferences => Startup Disk and choose your Macintosh HD partition as the default startup disk. Then, run Boot Camp Assistant and it should walk you through restoring the disk to a single volume.

When you're all finished, you'll want to reset the PRAM to improve startup performance. Turn the machine off, turn it back on again and press and hold Command + Option + P + R. Continue holding until you hear the system chime twice. Once that's done the Mac should once again boot normally.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks for the help, with your I've sort the problem.

Looking at the XP disc, it is the XP Home Edition including Service Pack 2 Version 2002.

Is this the one that I need for Bootcamp or will it work with Parellels/VB

Thanks for allyour help.

Whit

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the help, with your I've sort the problem.

Looking at the XP disc, it is the XP Home Edition including Service Pack 2 Version 2002.

Is this the one that I need for Bootcamp or will it work with Parellels/VB

Thanks for allyour help.

Whit

Well, officially, you're only entitled to use that disc with the machine it was sold with. It may also be tailored specifically to that machine.

However, if that machine is decommissioned or not running that copy of Windows, you may be able to get away with running it in a VM.

OP
W
Reaction score
Thanks cwa107 for all your help, I thought that I had caused major problems. If only I had a little more knowledge!!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cwa107 for all your help, I thought that I had caused major problems. If only I had a little more knowledge!!

It will come in time, my friend. Even with more than a decade of professional experience with other computers, when I first switched to Mac, I felt clueless.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.