iPhoto library organisation question

Reaction score
Hello there. Newbie here. I've just upgraded to iPhoto 09 and the way the library works seems to have changed from the previous version I had. I've got one library on my harddrive and another, with different pictures on my external hard-drive. I'd like all the photos in one library. Before this would have been a simple case of drag and drop into the external from my desktop but with this version it's not accepting this. Any tips on how I can unify my library into one?

Thanks. ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Macbook Pro, 8g RAM, iPhone 6, iPad Mini, Apple TV
Use an app like iPhoto Library Manager or iPhoto Buddy to merge the two. Dragging and dropping won't work -- iPhoto will not recognize. Merge is the function you want!

And, stay out of the iPhoto library in finder if you want to use the iPhoto app. iPhoto organizes things in there so that it can find your photos for you, and if you change anything in that file manually, iPhoto won't be able to function. Do anything to/with your photos from within the app itself. There is never a need (particularly for a newbie as you have noted you are) to go into that file.

Good luck! And Welcome!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.