Hi. I'm new with questions

Reaction score
Hi just call me NAP,(initials) I bought the new iMac G5 waiting on tiger for the OS. I am retired and not very familiar with computers very much, other than surfing the web , I'm using the OS10.3.9 v right now I'm hoping that the new OS will help me a bit more I'm having trouble figuring saving backups and such I jumped right into this head first So I'm lost but I would love to learn how to create a musical library and save photos on here. I'm having problems also of creating more than one user on email (for my wife)
I was hoping that someone out here would have a or some suggestions on where to go to get online teaching procedures for retired folk to get this computer navigating process down. Like I said I jumped in head first (no prior skills for computers). But I have a **** of an imagination and want to learn as much as I can(my new hobby has commenced) :mac:

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I am not a switcher I am apple 100% why would you switch this forum location with out asking first?

Reaction score
NAP said:
Hi just call me NAP,(initials) I was hoping that someone out here would have a or some suggestions on where to go to get online teaching procedures for retired folk to get this computer navigating process down. Like I said I jumped in head first (no prior skills for computers). But I have a **** of an imagination and want to learn as much as I can(my new hobby has commenced) :mac:

Welcome NAP to the world of Mac. I'm sure your gona like your new iMac, they are not only a great looking machine, they work great too. I don't think your going to have any real problems learning how to use them as OS X is quite a friendly os.

For your music, i think you will find that iTunes will do a great job for you. It is one of the best music converters, catalogers and players there is and it really makes setting up catalogs and playlists very simple.

For your photos i think you will probably find that iPhoto will do a rather good job for you in that department once you get used to it.

Out side of upgrading your ram, which will give you smoother multitasking about all you need to do is jump in and start doing things with it. I'm sure some one will be around to give tips and help with any problems you might run into.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Thank you looking forward to it ;) I hasd extra merory added when purchased
Machine Model: iMac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 600 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f4
thats all mumbojumbo to me !

Reaction score
NAP said:
Thank you looking forward to it ;) I hasd extra merory added when purchased
Machine Model: iMac G5
CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.0)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.8 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 768 MB
Bus Speed: 600 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 5.2.2f4
thats all mumbojumbo to me !

It just tells you what you have NAP. iMac G5 tells you the model and if you know the models you know what it looks like without having to see it. The powerpc g5 tells you the type of processor it has and the 1.8 tells you the speed of that processor. 768 ram is good on an iMac G5, it makes things operate smoothly when running more than one program at a time and should do you quite well for awhile.

X

xthisisRomancex

Hi NAP about switiching the topics I was a swithcer ALONG TIME AGO and if i have a ? i still post it here.. i belice this topic gets mroe attention thant any other, IMO

Ok im here to help you setup you email accounts. But i do have to ask you some questions. What internet service provider are you using. And then next question is are you using the program MAIL, and having programs while setting up accounts in there.

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Thank you,yes I'm using Mail, How do I create an account without us sharing windows I am using comcast for service

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
also how do I get notified of a post on this thread?

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I have to run so i'll check back later thanks again

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
up at the top there is a link that says "thread tools" click on that and then click on subscribe to this thread. follow the directions and choose the email option that you want.

also if you click on the link at the very top that says "profile" any replies to this thread will be noted there after you subscribe to this thread

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
Here is what you need to create or add a new e-mail account in Apple. Select mail -> preferences -> then accounts tab

once you have the account window open you will see a plus sign in the lower left corner. Select it. You should get a new clean window. Enter the following information:

Description -> user [email protected] or username
Email Address -> [email protected]
Full name -> your name
Incoming Mail server -> mail.comcast.net
User Name -> username
Password -> password for the given username
Outgoing Mail Server smtp.comcast.net

Do the above for each of the mail account that you want to create

X

xthisisRomancex

the thing is tho u lose privacy when u do that...They can both check each others mail. i looked all over Mail and i could not find a way for you to password protect your mail box.. the only way i think this is going to be acheved is by creating another user name on the OS itself..

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
xthisisRomancex said:
the thing is tho u lose privacy when u do that...They can both check each others mail. i looked all over Mail and i could not find a way for you to password protect your mail box.. the only way i think this is going to be acheved is by creating another user name on the OS itself..
That is what I am realizing. So what I need to do is add another user and then each time she wants to use it she'll need to log in under her name, correct? Anyone care to tell me the procedure for that? Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Click the Apple at the top left
Click System Preferences
Click Accounts (Bottom left icon)
Below Login Options click the + icon. There you can set up your wife a new account.

Once you have the user name setup click Login Options
You will want to have Enable fast user switching check....this will make it easy for you to tell who is logged on and switch. On the top right of the computer you will see a bold name which is the current user logged on. When you click that you can switch to the other user

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
Fantastic! You guys are great thank you! I am sure I'll have more questions soon, should I start other threads or just use this one?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
NAP said:
Fantastic! You guys are great thank you! I am sure I'll have more questions soon, should I start other threads or just use this one?

Just a reminder NAP, if you appreciate helpful comments from the folks here please give them a positive rating and a little feedback if you have the time. Just click on the little button below the user's info that looks like a check mark or v and and x. Also, just a suggestion to help keep the boards clean, and to help you get answers more quickly, I would suggest being more specific with the title of your future threads if possible (like, need help with Mail, etc.) and if you want to post several responces in quick succession go back and edit your previous responce and add to it in rather that having a list of 2 or 3 responces in a row. Welcome to the boards, you're going to find them VERY helpful. ;)

-Chris

OP
iNAP
Reaction score
I will and I have, to all the replies .Thank you sir~!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" G5 iMac; 14.1" G4 iBook; 60Gig iPod Video
I just read through my previous post a it looked a little like a lecture, which was not my intent. :p I've just noticed from my own experience in the past that the more specific I was in the titles, the more quickly I recieved a useful responce. Congratulations on the retirement. :)

-Chris

X

xthisisRomancex

start other threads. the more post in a thread the less people check it out, IMO. and plus the goal is to stay on topic so if someone has the same problem as you thay will be able to find it eaiser.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.