WMA-->Mp3? can it be done on a mac?

J

JSchultz

Hey guys...not sure if this the right subforum to post under, but..

I have some wma files from a PC that I want to bring over to my iBook. Is it possible to import them via CDR to the iBook and have iTunes convert?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Thats only in the Windows version of iTunes

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
yeah, although I tend to do audio conversions on my PC instead of my mac. I have Windows XP 2005 Media Edition, which has a built in converter. It's painful to turn on my PC, and it does feel like a chore, but it is one area in which the PC is easier to use for it than mac...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP (Mid-2015), 2.8 Ghz i7, 16GB DDR3, AMD M370X Gfx, 1 TB SSD
Freeware vs. "Shareware"

JSchultz said:
Thanks guys, That EasyWMA piece looks good!

No kidding! I just spent $30 on a program that converts all my old WMAs to Mp3 so I can put 'em on my mac when it comes in a couple of weeks... oh, well, the program is stable and I needed something to do huge batch conversions without me babysitting it (I have about 7,000 songs on my ext. HD that needed converting!)

That has been about the biggest hurdle for me in terms of a switch to mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
It should be noted that, no matter how you convert from WMA to MP3, (or WMA->AAC for that matter) you will lose some quality. If you have the original CDs, you'll get better results if you re-ripped them directly into MP3. (Of course, you'll spend some time doing this, especially if there are a lot of them.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
Bizarre... it don't work with the .wma file I have to convert!!!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
IMac 2.8GHz Dualcore 24'' / 2GB SDRAM / Snow Leopard 10.6.1 / external HD LaCie 500Gb
bellastrada said:
Bizarre... it don't work with the .wma file I have to convert!!!!

Problem solve..the file is corrupt! doh!... Sorry!

OP
D

djk3078

i just got a new cell phone which will only play wma's, does anyone know of software for os x that will convert my mp3's to windows media audio. ive been loking online for weeks with no luck

thanks
dk

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini
Just a quick FYI, if your cell phone is an LG, there's likely a service menu option that will allow you to enable mp3 playback. The original software flash of my Verizon LGVX8100 allowed mp3 playback. I had to have the phone replaced, and found that the newest flash disabled mp3 playback in favor of VCast wma playback. A simple change in the service menu enabled mp3 playback again. Howardforums is the place to look for cell phone info.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.