VMware Uninstalled by mistake - Can I revert and get my Windows working as earlier?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a switcher and this is an emergency. Pls help.

Background: I was upgrading to VMWare 3.0 and realized that I do not have the upgrade license key and stopped it and from eject button selected "uninstall" thinking it will delete the large 123 MB download file only.

It actually uninstalled by existing VMWare 2.0.5 and I do not see it in my Application list in finder. I had spend hours installing Windows and got everything going.

Is there anyway I can get my existing VMWare 2.0.5 working again and will it retain my windows install and settings that I had setup?

Not sure if installing 2.0.5 again(for which I have a license) will retain my Windows setup?

(I do not have time machine setup yet. I already looked at VM Ware getting started doc and it does not say anything)

Please help.

Thanks
Ritesh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
as long as you didn't delete the windows virtual machine you'll have no issues getting it to work again. Those settings are all in the virtual machine, not vmware. In fact, you can copy machines from computer to computer without issue

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't use Fusion but apparently your virtual HDs are stored in ~/Documents/Virtual Machines (~ is shorthand for your home directory). As long as the virtual HD is there, you should be fine.

EDIT: Dysfunction has quicker fingers than me.

OP
C
Reaction score
Thanks Dysfunction, vamsmith,

Yes the Windows XP file is there in ~/Documents/Virtual Machines folder. Whew!!.. Thanks for the lead.

Now, do I have to download and install the old VMWare 2.0.5 all over again or is there an image of the VMWare somewhere on the mac? Also, where do I find old versions on VMWare website. All I see is the 3.0 and I have a license only to VMWare 2.0.5.

Thanks in advance!!
Ritesh

as long as you didn't delete the windows virtual machine you'll have no issues getting it to work again. Those settings are all in the virtual machine, not vmware. In fact, you can copy machines from computer to computer without issue

I don't use Fusion but apparently your virtual HDs are stored in ~/Documents/Virtual Machines (~ is shorthand for your home directory). As long as the virtual HD is there, you should be fine.

EDIT: Dysfunction has quicker fingers than me.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
The image file, if you saved it, will be wherever you last put it. Check your Downloads folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.