root user help

Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to Mac, and have had my MacBook Pro for about 4 months. I am slowly switching my stuff over, but I am having difficulty accessing the user root.

I have looked for tutorials, but found nothing that Helps.

I have just installed a pkg of MySQL, but to start it I need to type

sudo /Library/StartupItems/MySQLCOM/MySQLCOM start

in a terminal window. This asks for a password, but I don't have one for root.

How do I set the password for root?

I am running Mac OS 10.5.8

I do have a little experience with Unix if that helps.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, and Macbook Pro
You must be talking about the same password you use to authorize installation of new applications.

If you go to /System Preferences/Accounts you should find your administrator account with a button for changing your password. That will lead you to a window with a hint for the existing password, and text entry boxes for entering a new password.

I hope that helps.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Try your own user password. As always, be careful what you execute with root privileges.

OP
S
Reaction score
thanks.

Can't remember what I did now, but think i did

$ sudo passwd root

this allowed me to set the root password. This then allowed me to start the MySQL service.

I am not sure of all the steps I took to get the PHP/MySQL working correctly together, but I did have to flush privileges. Something I have never come across before...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.