Can i buy from Apple USA and post to UK, And save money???

M

mr..nemo

I have noticed on the apple usa site apple.com there computers are cheaper than on the .co.uk site... can i buy from the states and send over to uk and save money?

if so is there any hidden costs and will the computers be both the same??? what will be the differences?

Reaction score
I don't know about the UK but when I would sell items on Ebay to people in Canada, they would want me to declare the value of the item to be considerably less than its actual value because I guess there are some pretty hefty taxes imposed by customs based on the item's value. I would always declare the full value or just not ship it and refund their money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
in a word no

you'd have to pay import tax and it would work out far more expensive

OP
N

nadeem

plus you'll have no warranty cover in the uk - you'd have to post back to the states...this is all theoretical as Apple US won't sell it to you anyway - they'll refer you to Apple UK...interestingly customs & excise say there is no import duty on laptops, although I'm not sure if that means VAT as well...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 1.67GHz 15.2" Superdrive 1.5GB RAM
Apple US won't ship to international addresses (it's somewhere on their website)
If you are a student, they do a good student discount.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
or you could just take it back with you :|

OP
C

Cloudane

The "gift" trick only works if it's under a certain value, about 30 quid I think, and if they catch someone abusing the system that blatantly they'll be facing fraud charges - not a good thing to have thrown at you :) I'm sure Apple wouldn't do that - therefore it'd cost you a lot of money in taxes.

Of course, if you go over there yourself, you might as well bring it back with you!

OP
J

Jordan

Don't do it

First, you would likely not be able to charge it to your UK credit card if buying on the US site.
Second, like many others have said, they will get you with import tax at the border.

I am a Canadian who is living in Germany. They wanted to try and make me pay 16% tax on my own iBook that was bought in Canada (where I already paid 14% tax) and shipped from my home to me here in Germany. I had to fight with them just to let it through. Everything has to be difficult here for some reason.

So, in a nutshell, save yourself the trouble and buy it in the UK.

ciao,

Jordan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
No, I got my PowerBook shipped from an Apple Reseller from the States. I guess I was lucky coz I wasn't charged taxes and it turned out to be far cheaper. And the Apple cover is global. I registered the laptop here and they acknowledged it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.