Notification of File Accesses

R

raycooke

Hi all,

I'm a newbie to OS X programming so bare with me. I'm trying to write am app, part of which has to listen for any and all file accesses that a user is making and record them for later perusal. If anyone here does Windows programming then you may have heard of FileMon from SysInternals which basically does this for Windows.

If anyone has any idea where I can start from to work this out... like even what Framework I should be looking in, I'll be extremely grateful!

Thanks guys (and gals :) ),

Ray

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
In OS X, you have powerful control over permissions to users and files. If you have files you want no other user to access, all you really have to do is keep them under your user name and not allow any sharing, read or write access to other users. This makes the need for monitoring apps possibly unnecessary depending on your needs

OP
R

raycooke

Thanks, but its not for security purposes. I'm developing an app as part of a research team thats looking into what kind of information we can get out of user file accesses that we can analyze and return to the user as a history of their workflow. We're using OS X cos its got lots of other cool features that we want to use as well but I'm kinda stuck on this bit at the mo. I just don't know how to get notified when users access / delete / create files etc...

(and I'm a newbie to programming in OS X but I know a reasonable amount about Linux and programming in general so looking for in depth programming API type response.... but thanks, every little helps :) )

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.