• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Negotiating Apple accessories at BestBuy

Reaction score
So the other day I was in Best Buy looking around at some of the apple accessory products, and decided to do some haggling over a keyboard from the apple accessory display section. I asked one of the retail workers if he could cut me a deal and let me out the door with a keyboard for a couple bucks off the regular price of $49.99, but he would not budge on the price. He explained to me that apple products are sold just the way they are and just how apple wants them to be priced. I even talked with there manager about it, and she would not budge on the price either. So the question, "Are Mac products sold at a price agreement with most companies?"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Short answer- yes

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Yeah, I don't know if the price fix is in or not, but you're not going to find much discounting going on anywhere. Kind of like trying to get a PS3 or Xbox360 for less than list. With those it's easier to find sellers at higher than list price than lower.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
Good for that manager.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
So the other day I ...decided to do some haggling ...one of the retail workers if he could cut me a deal .... So the question, "Are Mac products sold at a price agreement with most companies?"
No, products at a retail establishment are set at a price from the manufacturer.

You haggle over the price of a car or a house... you can haggle at a yard sale... you can even haggle at an outdoor Middle Eastern produce market... and that's about it.

There is no haggling in retail.

If you don't like the price, either find it cheaper elsewhere or simply don't buy it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Go to a swap meet or craigslist if you want to haggle on a price :p

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
No, products at a retail establishment are set at a price from the manufacturer.

You haggle over the price of a car or a house... you can haggle at a yard sale... you can even haggle at an outdoor Middle Eastern produce market... and that's about it.

If you don't like the price, either find it cheaper elsewhere or simply don't buy it.

Umm actually yes you can haggle but it only works if there is a defect and you are willing to buy it as is, and not return the item. I got 15% off a Sony 2 GB Memory Stick PRO DUO at Best buy. These things aren't exactly cheap, especially when they first just came out. The packaging was mangled and tapped back together. I didn't do that of course it was already like that in the display case.

Can also do this with clothing. ^-^" Of course I don't do it often, only when the price is really highly and there is actually something to nit pick about.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Umm actually yes you can haggle but it only works if there is a defect and you are willing to buy it as is, and not return the item. I got 15% off a Sony 2 GB Memory Stick PRO DUO at Best buy. These things aren't exactly cheap, especially when they first just came out. The packaging was mangled and tapped back together. I didn't do that of course it was already like that in the display case.

Can also do this with clothing. ^-^" Of course I don't do it often, only when the price is really highly and there is actually something to nit pick about.

That doesn't change the notion that haggling should not be a part of retail.
Anyone who has worked in retail for any notable length of time understands this.

Now yes, there are people who "nitpick" (to be excessively concerned with or critical of inconsequential details) and whine and complain to the point where their actions mimic that of a three-year-old throwing a tantrum when Mommy won't buy them a toy while grocery shopping.
Some actually succeed when a spineless manager caves to their demands.

This is part of The Microwave Mentality of the Burger King Generation's Priceline/Price Match Plus Slacker Brigade syndrome that has tarnished and blackened the retail sales world.

It's this mentality that has also played a huge part in creating the current worldwide economic downturn we've been experiencing.

I'm not that old, but I do still remember a time about 20 years or so ago when people didn't haggle at the clothing store, electronics outlet or any other random establishment found at a shopping mall.
If they did try to haggle, the store stood its ground.
So, if they weren't happy with one store's price they went somewhere else.
If they couldn't find a price they were willing to pay, they simply didn't buy the item anywhere.

Today's retail world has changed, sadly.
Retailers are staring to now mollycoddle consumers and cave to their every beck and call.

It's really sad.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
to D3v1L80Y:

Yes it has changed. And now some retailers are willing to have a little less profit on a certain item if it means they get a sale. If they did not listen to the haggling customer then they'd most certainly have lost the sale entirely. Heck I try to haggle all the time in big purchases. If the retailers can use every trick in the book to justify their price, ie the higher the better, then I inturn can and do use all the tricks in the book to justify the price I want to pay, ie a lower one.

Sure sometimes I get nowhere. But sometimes too I get things a little cheaper.

I don't believe it's retailers trying to cave in to the consumers demands. I think it is consumers now days fight for the best price. And the retailers have to do more to get their sale and beat out the other retailers. So all in all it's a benefit for us consumers. We get cheaper and a better quality of product all around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Short answer- yes

Not entirely true .....

I went into the Authorised  reseller where i live and got the price of $99 AUD for the new Magic Mouse, then went to another store being JB Hi Fi and asked him in there if he could cut me a deal, and he said if i pay cash he would give me $3 off the $99. As i was there old mate was looking at the new 27" and asked for his best price and its then he said come with me and we can do a deal.
Granted i heard in ear shot that it wouldnt be too much off as its a brand new line, but to my reckoning any money in my pocket is better than there's.

The $3 i would save would have payed for my parking.

Win win :D

OP
N
Reaction score
I love that one comment, their is no haggling in retail! That's like saying you cannot haggle over anything in our world today. That guy must a Mommies closet D&D player. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
I love that one comment, their is no haggling in retail! That's like saying you cannot haggle over anything in our world today. That guy must a Mommies closet D&D player. :)

here's some unsolicted advice. Edit your post.

Reaction score
The term (or phrase) OBO for "Or Best Offer" comes to mind here..but it doesn't really apply at retail stores.

Reaction score
to D3v1L80Y:

Yes it has changed. And now some retailers are willing to have a little less profit on a certain item if it means they get a sale. If they did not listen to the haggling customer then they'd most certainly have lost the sale entirely. Heck I try to haggle all the time in big purchases. If the retailers can use every trick in the book to justify their price, ie the higher the better, then I inturn can and do use all the tricks in the book to justify the price I want to pay, ie a lower one.

Sure sometimes I get nowhere. But sometimes too I get things a little cheaper.

I don't believe it's retailers trying to cave in to the consumers demands. I think it is consumers now days fight for the best price. And the retailers have to do more to get their sale and beat out the other retailers. So all in all it's a benefit for us consumers. We get cheaper and a better quality of product all around.

There's a sort of law that goes here. Law of Demand: When prices go up, demand goes down and vice versa. There's another law: Law of Supply: more will be offered for sale at higher prices than at lower prices.

In any case, if I don't want to pay that much of a price, I'll elsewhere to find it. And if I don't find what I'm looking for with the price I want to pay, I compare my options, and I'll pay at whoever has the lowest price for a same or similar product. Unless I find several similar products at one store then I'll buy the one that has the most bang for the buck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
Today's retail world has changed, sadly.
Retailers are staring to now mollycoddle consumers and cave to their every beck and call.

Largely because they are no longer the only game in town and they know it. On the other hand, I saw someone return a 20+ year old canoe to Sears and demand a new one about 25 years ago.. and Sears did it. The canoe was damaged too ;)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Largely because they are no longer the only game in town and they know it. On the other hand, I saw someone return a 20+ year old canoe to Sears and demand a new one about 25 years ago.. and Sears did it. The canoe was damaged too ;)

Wow Sears sells canoes? Didn't know that. >_>"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I love that one comment, their [sic] is no haggling in retail! That's like saying you cannot haggle over anything in our world today.
Actually, if you read the post in its entirety, it does say:

So, yes, as I pointed out haggling does have its place.
The examples I've listed where haggling is acceptable are cases when the sale price is openly and expectedly up for negotiation.
Offers and counter-offers are common place in such transactions.

However, that practice is not prevalent in a retail establishment.
Attempting to do so is highly unorthodox and in many cases simply rude and unacceptable behavior.

So, answer these questions for me:

Would you haggle over the price of Corn Flakes at the grocery store?
Would you haggle over the price of medications at the pharmacy?
Would you haggle over the price of gasoline when you visit the pumps?
Would you haggle over the price of a CD at the music store?
Would you haggle over the price of a ticket at the movie theater?
Would you haggle over the price of a visit to your doctor?
Would you haggle over the price of a value meal at a fast food joint?
Would you haggle over the price of a pack of gum at a corner store?
Would you haggle over the price of the KWH price on your electric bill?

If you wouldn't for any or all of them, I would be interested in knowing why you wouldn't.
If you would for any or all of them, again I would like to know the reasoning behind your choice.

I'm curious to read your replies.

Regarding the other comment:
So all in all it's a benefit for us consumers. We get cheaper and a better quality of product all around.
Not necessarily.
We may get cheaper costing items... but that doesn't mean that the quality doesn't suffer in the process.

In order for a company to offer a cheaper product, they have to cut corners somewhere if they are to remain profitable.
More often than not, the corners that are cut reduce the overall quality of the items they produce.

Be it cheaper materials, reduced quality control, less expensive shipping methods or simply offshore production... these all reduce the overall quality in one respect or another.
Cut too many corners and eventually, much like a chair with one or more unequally sized and/or missing legs, something will collapse and fall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
There's lots of haggling in retail, but it depends on where you go and what you're buying.

Forget haggling at Target or Kmart.

Best Buy is usually pretty poor about haggling on regular items. You might have better luck on open-box items, or anything they're desperate to unload. You might could get a deal on a warranty or car audio installation, too.

Sears, Roebuck salespeople in the appliances and electronics departments are on commission. They'll haggle like a used car dealer. If you pay sticker price for a washing machine or plasma TV at Sears, you're a chump.

Most big furniture stores will drop prices pretty easily. Especially if you're buying a whole set.

Apple sets pretty strict and consistent pricing, so most of the time, it's not in a store's interest to discount them. The one exception would be when a model has been replaced; you might be able to wrangle a discount (or at least some free accessories.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.