HD crashed and replaced, now having several problems!

Reaction score
The HD on my 18 month old iMac crashed hard last week, and had to be replaced by the Genius Bar. I am in the process of trying to get it running as it was prior to the crash, but I'm having a few very frustrating problems:

1. I cannot get the computer to recognize my printer (wireless). What I don't understand is that when I set up the printer prior to the crash, my computer recognized it without me having to do anything. Would replacing the HD require me now to install a special driver from Epson?

2. My computer is not syncing with MobileMe. When I go to the MobileMe preferences, I cannot "check" the boxes next to the applications I want it to sync with (i.e. iCal, Keychain, etc); they remain unchecked. What am I doing wrong?

Please help!!!!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
1. What OS - what model printer - what is the printer attached to?

2. check the Account tab - everything on the Sync tab will be greyed out until the Account tab shows as being logged in.

OP
S
Reaction score
bobtomay:

Thanks for helping!!

1. It is Version 10.5.8, with an Epson Workforce 600 series printer with a wireless connection using a linksys WRY54G router.

2. The computer is set to have me automatically logged in, and I am the only registered user. Airport is showing connection. When I check the "Synchronize with MobileMe" option, the downscroll option to the left says "Manually," but is grey and won't allow me to select it. When I attempt to check the boxes next to Calendars, Contacts, etc, nothing happens.

OP
S
Reaction score
One other thing to note: I was able to sync my new MBP today with MobileMe and set the printer up without any hassles, so it has to be an issue or some setting on my iMac, I would guess.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27 iMac+Thunderbolt, iMac 21,
Try deleting printer from Sys Prefs/Print & Fax then doing a fresh 'Add Printer' with printer connected by USB then change to using it wireless.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Mobileme

try these in this order

1. Go back to the Accounts tab (in MobileMe - not the preference pane) - log out and back in

2. Go back to the Accounts tab - log out and log back in using your mobileme email address instead of just the user name

• Quit the following apps - Mail, iCal, Address Book and iTunes
  • Move this folder to the desktop: Users / your user / Library / Application Support / SyncServices
  • Open the apps from step one
  • Go back to MobileMe Preferences - log out and back in

OP
S
Reaction score
Mobileme

try these in this order

1. Go back to the Accounts tab (in MobileMe - not the preference pane) - log out and back in

2. Go back to the Accounts tab - log out and log back in using your mobileme email address instead of just the user name

• Quit the following apps - Mail, iCal, Address Book and iTunes
  • Move this folder to the desktop: Users / your user / Library / Application Support / SyncServices
  • Open the apps from step one
  • Go back to MobileMe Preferences - log out and back in

I followed your instructions, and was able to check the boxes of the items I wanted to sync. During the sync process, I received this message:

"Calendar could not be synced due to inconsistent data. Confirm that your computer data is valid, then reset Calendars on MobileMe in system preferences."

What exactly am I confirming, and how do I reset the calendar? I couldn't find where to do that.

Not sure if this helps, but throughout this process, I have been able to receive all of my emails. However, the folders I set up are missing.

While my iMac was being fixed, I purchased a MBP, and was able to set up and sync everything without any problems, so I don't think it is a MobileMe issue, but something specific with my iMac for some reason.

When I moved the SyncServices folder to the desktop, what does that do? Was I supposed to open and run something from there?

Thanks for all of your help; I am beginning to think that MobileMe may not be worth the money!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.