Do Windows viruses effect Mac in any way at all?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27"| iPhone 4
Sorry to mention P2P song downloading but I have a load of songs on my old laptop (vista) and want to put them onto my iPhone. The problem is that I will be connecting my iPhone to my iMac for software updates etc and might even transfer some songs from my iPhone to my iMac. The songs I have downloaded aren't from the healthiest places so I'm wondering if they could have Mac trojans (I have been told they do exist) or Windows viruses that could affect my iMac in any way at all, even as minor as just simply slowing it down a little. I think I am being a little over-cautious here but is it possible for iPhones to catch anything from dodgy sites and then spread it to the Mac?

Cheers. :)

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Windows files can't execute or run in OSX, so no they can't do anything on a Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
I'm wondering if they could have Mac trojans (I have been told they do exist) or Windows viruses that could affect my iMac in any way at all, even as minor as just simply slowing it down a little.
Sticky Thread:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/switcher-hangout/23835-official-mac-antivirus-firewall-faq.html

Sticky Thread said:
...your Mac can't be infected by a Windows virus...

And be sure to read the Community Guidelines regarding discussion of Illegal Activity as well as other Sticky Threads and Announcement threads.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
...they could have Mac trojans (I have been told they do exist)...

A trojan isn't something that accompanies a media file (or any other file, for that matter). A trojan is a non-desirable application disguised as a desirable one. For example, the 2 or 3 trojans that are geared toward OS X, are simply DNS redirector programs that are disguised to look like a media player, when in fact, no media player exists (or ever did).

Viruses, on the other hand, can co-opt a normal file and make that file harmful. But there is a difference between a Virus and a simple trojan.

Any idiot can write a trojan. In fact, the only ingenuity in writing a trojan is in baiting the user to execute and install it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.