My First Mac - What are some of the things I should be doing?

Reaction score
I just got my first white unibody macbook a few days ago and Im new to OS X and Macs in general. What are some of the things I should be doing like installing antivirus and what not. How do i protect my mac when i go on the internet. what settings should i change to make sure my mac is safe?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Just have fun...that's why you bought a Mac!;)

Virus's aren't really an issue like they are on Windows computers (not impossible, but very very rare).

- Nick

Reaction score
Much like pigoo3 said, you really don't NEED to download any virus protection, however if you go to Apple's site, search "iAntivirus" and download that one. I use it to screen my torrent files and stuff, just be safe. So far, I've had my macbook for 2 years and downloaded over 5,000 files and not one has had an infection. You're pretty safe.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
So far, I've had my macbook for 2 years and downloaded over 5,000 files and not one has had an infection. You're pretty safe.

That's a pretty good track record!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
You mac is safe! No need to worry! jump online, download some programs and enjoy yourself! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
No prep needed to secure it before initial use. Just go ahead and use the computer and have fun :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
The 1st thing to do with your new Mac is to join this forum and you have already done that part of it .... :D
This is a great place to learn for the noobs !!!
Congrats on the new purchase and as mentioned several times ^^ .. Enjoy it thouroughly ;P

Reaction score
You could also go to Apple's website to learn some of the basics when it comes to jumping from Windows to Mac. I learned a lot from there when I started out.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in mbook 2.4ghz intel snow leopard upgraded 4gb ram / 2g iPod touch 16gb jailed/ airport extreme
learn the OSX by getting a book like the dummies series etc - I did and they help to read things in common language before pressing any keyboards !
That said the only advice I can give is to take your time to begin with ie slow down what you do as all will seem like you computing in a mirror , but I agree with all th e above comments - enjoy your purchase and unless you intend on going to the "back of beyond" areas of interweb you need no anti virus , unless you are networking with windows machines as you can pass on stuff.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I have been using Macs with zero antivirus software installed since the late 80s. No viruses to date.

Reaction score
It's just a computer - so use it like any other computer and enjoy it. You really don't need to worry about anit-virus too much IMO.

TWM

Reaction score
Anytime i get a new mac, I check for software updates! Other than that take a look at some of the free applications out there (like neo office) on apples site, and others like Macupdate. There are thousands of great free applications (programs) that you will discover... It really is one of the best things about the mac. How do you like it so far? Also, I would download Flip4mac (google it), so you won't have any issues playing videos.

Reaction score
I just got my new MBP, and I absolutely love it also. I had concerns about AV, seeing I have recently switched over form the dark side. Everyone has said the same thing, don't worry about viruses.

Reaction score
apple.com/support

go to the bottom of the page and look for Switch101 and Mac101 it has all the basics for someone switching from windows and just mac in general

Oh yeah make sure to buy Snow Leopard, its only $29 and they made it dummy proof.

Reaction score
Antivirus: NO, recommended if decide to partition for Windows, or run a VM
Mac OS X has no viruses, though there is a trojan horse, which is easily removed. (I forgot where I got it, but there is a removal tool for it). In any case: there is no registry either.

I would turn on your firewall, just so no one watches you..there are keystroke loggers and the like out there, and yes, Mac OS X is hackable (it is wise to be using the internet here safely..which I'll safely assume you are). Most of all, enjoy the problemless world of Mac OS X!!

Well okay that last part is an overstatment: there a few problems, but Apple usually has an easy fix for them through Software Update.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.