Does Anybody on here DJ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.26ghz, 4gb ram, 250 gb hard drive
Hello,
So i've noticed a lack of threads on Dj Software and Equipment. Currently I've got a Numark DMC2. It's ok... But the lack of a mixer sucks. I'd like to get the numark ns7, but seeing as i'm not rich, i need to stay in 200-400 range for a software controller. I'm currently using virtual dj but i'm thinking of switching to traktor pro. Mixing 4 tracks at once? yes please. Any opinions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13in mbook 2.4ghz intel snow leopard upgraded 4gb ram / 2g iPod touch 16gb jailed/ airport extreme
I don't commercialy DJ bit I have traktor pro and it rocks... You can choose 2 or 4 decks but it's a bit choppy when recording your mixes as it goes to wav and then you have the option in iTunes to convert to mp3 to cut down on size. hope this helps...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro 11,2 <--DAW!!!
I've been a long time user of NI's Traktor since the days of ver 2.5. It's an excellent program.

As far as mixers, it all depends what you want to do as far as mixing.
Are going to use it solely as a software controller? Will you use it to incorporate turntables and vinyl? Will you need midi inputs? Will you need buttons, sliders and knobs for use as a midi controller?

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.26ghz, 4gb ram, 250 gb hard drive
i think i'll have to stick to the software controllers for now. timecoded vinyl is just too expensive for me right now. Although i do accept donations:Evil:
and yes i am going to need a MIDI mixer. I was looking at numark's omni-control, and hercules RMX. I just haven't decided. I was at a local pawn shop and they had two technics turntables and a crappy peavy mixer for $299, and i was tempted but the software along with all the hardware needed is like $600 or so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro Dual QuadCore & Macbook
I was at a local pawn shop and they had two technics turntables and a crappy peavy mixer for $299

if your going to get into using turntables, make sure they are direct drive, NOT belt driven... at 299, i'm guessing they are belts.

as far as software/hardware, i'd agree with what everyone else has and say trakors the way to go. i've been using it for a year now and it's very stable, and it also comes with 2 control cd's in addition to the 2 control vinyl platters...

also, you can play out from traktor with out using the control platter or a mixer, so you could just get the software and not the hardware ($99 for traktor duo software)

personally as a rule of thumb i'd say stay away from "cheap" products... when i first started out, i learned the hard way that it's better to save up and get good gear then just buying what you think you can afford now, then upgrading one day, because one day comes really quick.

don't know how much this answers your original question, but hopefully it helps a little.

good luck :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Don't DJ professionally, but I do tend to djay at home with iTunes!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.