backup question

Reaction score
I'm planning on installing Ubuntu on my XP machine, mostly as a practice before doing on my Mac.

The instructions always say to back up your existing hard drive. So, as we speak I'm using Clonezilla to back up my XP 40 gb drive. Basically, it is imaging it to and external USB HDD.

I can see how this will come in very handy if something goes wrong during the Ubuntu install. But I don't see how it helps me to reinstall XP to a new smaller Win partition after I've installed Ubuntu to its own partition.

Does the reinstall of XP require a clean install of the OS and all my apps?

Or am I missing something?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
You are correct that a clone of your existing XP installation cannot be brought back to a smaller version of itself. By backup here, they are suggesting that you back your documents/images/music and things that are important to you. The assumption is that should you need to restore things, you can re-install XP and bring back your files.

If you JUST want to play around with Ubuntu, perhaps installing it inside VirtualBox in XP or through WUBI might be better. Both of those options will not mess with the size of your XP installation since they will use a single file as the entire filesystem for Ubuntu..

Regards

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for confirming that.

I did play around a bit with Ubuntu by running it off the install CD. Seemed to run pretty well considering it was not installed yet.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Agreed, the Live CD works quite well once fully loaded..I think that was by far that smartest thing that came to Linux since all of the distro's do it now..

Regards

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.