Mac wireless internet issues

Reaction score
Hi,

For some reason my wireless internet on my mac is very very slow. When i use Windows on the same macbook it is normal speed. My internet is BT Internet, can anyone explain what might be wrong.

When I say slow I mean slow.

cheers for any help peeps

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Slow internet browsing with your Mac versus normal speed using the same network with a PC could be related to DNS settings. Make sure you check all your settings in System Preferences, Network, and your router. Pay special attention to the DNS settings. You may have to contact your ISP to see if there are any special DNS settings they're using or if it's automatic.

If no joy with your ISP, post back with some more info regarding your system and router. We'll try to go from there. You may be able to use OpenDNS instead.

Regards.

OP
B
Reaction score
hi,

is this correct to replace the 2 figures marked with a cross below with the open dns addresses below?

Open DNS addresses

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
No that's wrong. You need to click on the next menu item - "DNS". Click on the small plus sign at the bottom of the dialog and enter the two addresses you quoted. The grayed out address will be for your router and can be ignored. Be sure to access your router's setup menu (check your manual) and make the change there also. Restart the router and your Mac for changes to take effect. Let us know if that helped.

Also, be sure to change the "configure iVp4 setting back to "Using DHCP".

Regards.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S

Also, be sure to change the "configure iVp4 setting back to "Using DHCP".

Regards.

Just wanted to make sure you caught that part.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.