• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Trouble uploading iMovie to YouTube

Reaction score
Hi. . .I'm really new to this. I have a large movie I created in iMovie '08. It's 600 MB and 3 min. long with professional sound and high resolution photos. It will not upload. Always comes up as "error". So I compressed it using Quick Time, still no luck.

At one point, it uploaded 24.9 MB of the 587.4 MB but stayed stuck after that. It would have taken 4 hours, the note said.

Sure would appreciate any help! Joanna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Sounds like YT is a little broken. If I recall right, YT allows you to upload a maximum of 2GB for a maximum of 10 minutes of video If the movie is 3 minutes or more, then 600MB should be allowed.

YouTube has information on their site regarding codecs to use and other suggestions. You should track that down at the bottom of their page under the Help heading.

You may want to check out my YouTube guide for some hints. Perhaps my iMovie export guide too. They are here.

OP
J
Reaction score
SUCCESS!! I'm so happy I've been able to upload 2 movies to YouTube.

I use Mac OS X 10.4.11 Thanks so much "xstep" for the easy instructions I printed out. For someone like me who didn't know terms or how things worked, it was as easy as following a recipe. The diagrams were the best! There was only one area of confusion. Under COMPRESSION SETTINGS, the dimensions listed in the diagram are 480 x 320. But you say your preferred size is 480 x 360. I wasn't sure what to fill in the blanks, so I put 480 x 320. Thanks again! Joanna

Once I loaded to YouTube, my account showed I had a video, but it was not yet showing up under a "search". I thinkk that takes a few hours.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
You want to set the size appropriate to where you are placing the resulting file. For YouTube that is now 640x480 for SD (standard def) or 1280x720 for HD. Don't bother trying to blow up the size of a standard definition image to HD.

I did find your videos, via a Google search.

I'd suggest re-exporting the video size to be larger than what you did do. If your iMovie project is set to HD, then use the larger size mentioned above, otherwise us the SD size. Those pics will look even better!

Sounds like you read my iMovie export guide. The YouTube one has specifics for YT. I may have to update them, again. ;)

As for the 480x360 and 480x320 differences. The one on the screen shot is in error. The thing to remember when exporting to odd sizes, keep the aspect ratio the same between the width and height of the video. For YouTube, I go with their recommendations.

The background to the 480x360 size I mentioned in my guide...

I was, and still am, uploading video to a private page for family and friends. I wanted a balance between the quality of the video and file size they would have to upload. I picked 480x360 because my native material was 640x480 and I didn't like the very small quarter size of 320x240 for presenting to family and friends, so I chose the size in between. I liked my compromise because the video was still large enough to enjoy, but I could compress it more to allow for quick viewing. When I started, some people still had dial up connections to the net. Recently, I've made my videos larger.

P.S. I did a slight alteration to my web page to clarify the sizing issue.

OP
J
Reaction score
Okay. . .sounds worth a try to do the larger file since I use high quality sound recordings and high resolution photos. Thanks for checking out my site to see how the quality looked. Joanna Schwarz

OP
J
Reaction score
Since I have iMovie HD, I used the High Definition setting of 1280x720.
The photos are slightly clearer. The YouTube handbook prefers 640x360 or 480x360. Is HD too much of a good thing?

I'm really glad I found the Sound button (it's been a steep learning curve this week). I dialed the AAC setting that YT advised and the sound is MUCH improved.

If you have time to answer, on the Compression page under Compressor quality, the marker is on "high". Is it worth going to "best" if I'm in HD?

I upped the render setting to "best" to try. Was this a mistake? My 2nd movie in HD (still on my computer) is not a success. There is a clearly visible "pulsing" in the photos -- like a heartbeat and a constant "flimmering". I need to try some more combinations, I guess. Joanna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't understand why you have switched to iMovie HD. You can do HD in iMovie 08 also. If fact, a project can be switched from SD to HD and back again. Click on 'Project Properties...' under the file menu when you have a project open. If you don't want to affect a project, then duplicate it via the File and use the new copy. You need to be in the mode which lists all the projects and highlight the one of interest.

On the bottom of the YoutTube page under the Help heading, click Get Help, click General Help Center, click Uploading Videos, click Optimizing your video uploads. You'll see that the handbook has old information regarding upload dimensions.

I set the compression quality as high as it can go. Depending on other settings, it may only have a 'high' selection instead of 'best'. If I recall right, you can't change it when manually setting the 'Data Rate'. The data rate has a huge affect on the size and quality of your output. I usually start out leaving the 'Data Rate' set to automatic, so can set the compression to 'Best'.

Use Multi-Pass encoding when available.

I'm not sure what 'pulsing' means. Make sure to choose de-interlace. Perhaps this is an interlacing issue, or aliasing problem.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi. . .I don't understand all the technicalities (still learning) so bear with me. I used High Definition for my movie because the program is called iMovie HD. I assumed that meant it was suitable for high definition.

I'll check out the other settings later. I'm going to field a new question in another place about transitions that are "black" between photos. Thanks. . .Joanna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, iMovie HD can do high definition if you set your project up that way, but so can iMovie 08. I just wanted to make that clear. iMovie HD does have some advantages but it's life is limited as it is now an unsupported product.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hi. . .can you tell me what "unsupported product" means?

Is that why -- when I checked for recent updates (for example iTunes just got updated) -- there were none for iMovie? The last update for it was in 2006. I'm going to check this site for answers about iMovie 09 with Snow Leopard. . .thanks, Joanna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
When Apple released iMovie 08, they created version 6.0.4 of iMovie HD and made it available as a download for iMovie 08 users who had upgraded and were yelling they didn't like iM08. When they released iMovie 09, Apple removed iMovie HD completely as an option, so it is now a discontinued product.

I believe I've seen a couple people complain iMovie HD doesn't work 100% with the new Snow Leopard, OS X 10.6. I don't recall the details, but the thing to note is that as new operating system versions come out, they can create incompatibilities with current software versions.

So, don't expect any upgrade for iMHD to fix bugs or compatibility problems.

You said you have 10.4, so I would expect iMHD to work well with that. As well as it ever has.

Apple only supports the OS versions back one version I think. Have you seen any updates to 10.4 recently? I think you'll only be seeing updates for Leopard and Snow Leopard. Well, until 10.7 comes out in 18-24 months. If you are not on Intel Mac hardware, your maximum upgrade option is Leopard, OS X 10.5, but even that depends on just how old you hardware is.

As for Snow Leopard and iMovie 09, they should work fine together. Apple will fix iM09 bugs because that is a currently active product.

OP
J
Reaction score
That's very helpful. The most recent update for my computer is iTunes 09 but nothing for iMovie. Kind of annoying that the program is no longer supported. Maybe that accounts for some of the troubles I'm having with black transitions and also trouble with panning.

The new computer includes Snow Leopard and iMovie 09 in the package so I'm leaning towards that, after all.

Again, thanks for your time in all of this. Joanna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's very helpful. The most recent update for my computer is iTunes 09 but nothing for iMovie. Kind of annoying that the program is no longer supported. Maybe that accounts for some of the troubles I'm having with black transitions and also trouble with panning.

The new computer includes Snow Leopard and iMovie 09 in the package so I'm leaning towards that, after all.

Again, thanks for your time in all of this. Joanna

I don't think the troubles should have anything to do with iTunes update. Possibly a QuickTime update.

I thought you said you already have a Macbook Pro running 10.4. That would be a 15". You won't gain much by buying a newer one. I suspect you have a similar machine to mine. So perhaps you'll gain 64-bit processors, the ability to upgrade the RAM to 8GB, a bit of a speed boost, and a few other low level technical things. You also may end up with a poorer graphics processing experience. Unless you are really pushing your machine, I can't see how spending a couple of grand is better than $169, and perhaps the cost of a backup drive which you should have anyway.

OP
J
Reaction score
Actually. . .it was my music arranger who recommended the Snow Leopard program and he does movies all the time. I'll have to check into the features carefully.

However, as you say. . .it costs little to boost the memory. And yes, I do push my machine with a huge photo Library. I'm backing up today!! Joanna

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The photo library takes a lot of disk space, but odds are you don't edit more than one or a few at a time and the extra speed from a new machine may not be a big gain.

I could go into some technical stuff that may suggest upgrading a machine is worth wild, but for the most part that isn't a concern just yet. Most of the software developers have to catch up to the hardware.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.