burning an iso

Reaction score
If I download an iso file and have OSX burn it to a CD will the CD be bootable or does the Mac require special software (like Windows does) to properly burn?

The iso file in question is Clonezilla, icyww.

Reaction score
If it's an image of a bootable CD, sure it will.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well the cool thing about Mac is that it can mount ISOs without any additional software.

I haven't had any problems burning that file type to a disk using disk utility.

OP
M
Reaction score
If it is a bootable CD image targeting i386 processors would it boot on an XP machine or just a Mac?

Reaction score
If it is a bootable CD image targeting i386 processors would it boot on an XP machine or just a Mac?

This is one way to make a bootable CD on a PC: Nero Burning ROM (windows): Open Nero and close the wizard. Go to "File" and then to "Burn Image..". In the next dialog, click on "Image files (*.nrg)" and select "All Files (*.*)". Choose (File)iso and click "Accept". Make sure the next dialog says Type: Data Mode 1, Block size: 2048, Image header: 0 and Image trailer: 0. In the next dialog, make sure the "write" and "finalize" options are active, then click on "Write".

OP
M
Reaction score
This is one way to make a bootable CD on a PC: Nero Burning ROM (windows): Open Nero and close the wizard. Go to "File" and then to "Burn Image..". In the next dialog, click on "Image files (*.nrg)" and select "All Files (*.*)". Choose (File)iso and click "Accept". Make sure the next dialog says Type: Data Mode 1, Block size: 2048, Image header: 0 and Image trailer: 0. In the next dialog, make sure the "write" and "finalize" options are active, then click on "Write".
Thanks, but I've been using InfraRecorder on my PC.

OP
M
Reaction score
slower burn?

When I burn the iso on my Mac is there a way to burn it slower than 10x?

I'm trying now to burn Ubuntu on my Mac and it won't boot on my XP box. Ubuntu forum responses indicate I need to burn it slower but I don't see that option when I ask my Mac to burn.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
In DU, after you click the Burn button, click the blue arrow. Under "Burn Options" is a drop down box to change the speed.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Thanks, but I need to go slower than 10x.

Doesn't that kind of depend on the media that you are trying to write to? >_>"

The slowest I can get on a regular CD-R is 8X, on a DVD+R I can get as slow as 2.4X, and then 4X, and 8X max.

OP
M
Reaction score
Doesn't that kind of depend on the media that you are trying to write to? >_>"

The slowest I can get on a regular CD-R is 8X, on a DVD+R I can get as slow as 2.4X, and then 4X, and 8X max.

I'd think it would but on my regular CD blanks I was offered no slower than 10x.

Anyhoo, the need is gone. Apparently this time 10x worked and I now have the live version of Ubuntu 9.10 running on my XP box.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I've read in many places that speed matters when burning images but I've had plenty of success burning at fast speeds. I'm sure the failure rate is higher at higher speeds but as you found out, faster speeds can work just as well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.