My brother's new iMac is having problems

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
My brother just got a new iMac G5. He got an airport card installed and is trying to get connected though his house's wireless connection. He is only one room away from my other brother who has a linksys wireless router plugged into his mini. It worked great today, but now he is getting no signal at all. Does anyone know what the problem could be?????????

D

dstyrk

I believe you have to use the assigned port the router needs to use. It should be in the manual.

Am I right anyone? I'm just sort of guessing. But that'd be my best guess.

Reaction score
Does any other computer on the router have a connection? You can try resetting your router. I think there is a reset button you can press in with a pin on the router and it will reset the connection. but i dont know if thats on your router.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
Sometimes unplugging the router from the wall for 30 sec then plugging it back in can reset as well ;)

Reaction score
yea but remember that when you reset the router you have to set the fire wall back up

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
what kind of wall separates the 2 rooms. if it is regular 3/4 inch drywall then you should have signal. can he see the connection when in the airport icon? did his brother change the router settings?

OP
donnation25
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac G5 1GB RAM Superdrive; 12" powerbook 512mb RAM G4 Superdrive
Its just regular drywall. He is getting the very last tip of a connection signal showing at the top. I actually think its just something wrong with his iMac. I have the same iMac G5 and his runs REALLY loud and has had a few other problems. His iMovie isn't working right either and the fan noise is almost unbearable. I think he is just going to take it back and exchange it. Thanks for all the help though and hopefully this new one will work better for him.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
yeah definitely take it back... sounds like a lemon.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.