Looking for a my first computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
im confused i was doing research on various computers starting with mac vs pc vs linux. but i watched the mac comercials and studied i found that mac is lieing. or atlease so i think. it says that windows doesnt do backups, yet they do. that mac has no viruses but when i looked up viruses for mac and pc and linux compared to the amount of computers out thier, i found that comparativly mac has more. i also herd i can get all the same things from mac as i can with linux and that they both use somthing important called unix.

so i figured i would ask you guys what you think?

ontop of that i see all these comercials bashing on windows but not many bashing mac. then the comercials say they dont bash. it makes me question if i should trust mac.

i understand im in a mac forum and i expect some angry user to be vocal. but im just currious. i posted simular quesions on window forums.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
A few points:

1. A Mac is a PC.
2. A machine running Linux is also a PC.
3. No, macs have NO viruses. That site is wrong.
4. UNIX is the operating systems used to base Linux. Linux and mac use a Unix kernel, but the operating systems are actually quite different.
5. Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows all have their ups and downs. It really depends what you need it for, however Mac is all-around downright easier to use than Windows. You could actually run Mac, Windows, and Linux right on your mac if you wanted to. A couple of open Virtual Machines won't hurt anyone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
What will you be doing with this "first computer"?

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
im confused i was doing research on various computers starting with mac vs pc vs linux. but i watched the mac comercials and studied i found that mac is lieing. or atlease so i think.

You mean Apple. Macintosh computers are just a product.

it says that windows doesnt do backups, yet they do.

Sure there is backup software for Windows. How would any Windows user protect their computer without backup software. What commercial did you see that specifically said that there is no way to backup a Windows machine?

that mac has no viruses but when i looked up viruses for mac and pc and linux compared to the amount of computers out thier, i found that comparativly mac has more.

Please cite a source. There are no viruses for Mac OS X at the present. There are a couple of trojans, but no viruses. There are quite literally hundreds of thousands of different forms of malware for Windows.

i also herd i can get all the same things from mac as i can with linux and that they both use somthing important called unix.

Sure you can, it comes down to personal preference. Both Linux and Mac OS X are based on variants of UNIX, which is an operating system.

so i figured i would ask you guys what you think?

I think you're a troll. We'll finalize that determination based on your next response.

ontop of that i see all these comercials bashing on windows but not many bashing mac. then the comercials say they dont bash. it makes me question if i should trust mac.

How is this relevant? If the commercials didn't play on the public's perception of a particular product, then they wouldn't be resounding or funny, would they?

i understand im in a mac forum and i expect some angry user to be vocal. but im just currious. i posted simular quesions on window forums.

Why don't you think for yourself, try out the systems that you're interested in and see which fits you best. Why do other people's opinions matter to you when ultimately your choice in the system you buy impacts only you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.