New to the mac world

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Always been a pc man, but in a few weeks time I be a new imac owner. Hope you do not mind me asking questions as this is all new to me. Is putting softwear on a mac as easy as a pc? When I buy my imac I will be having applications to download.

Thanks again

mojospirit :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
| '09 24" iMac 3.06 8GB | '09 iPhone 3GS 32GB | '09 ATV 1.16TB | '07 23" ACD | '06 15" MBP |
Everything is easier on a Mac over PC for the average user. Unless you MUST have the BSOD, then well, we can't help you here.

:D

Welcome!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
As Zorro stated it is so much simpler on a Mac machine.

For example .... If you download software open and mount the .dmg image and then its just a matter of click and dragging the .app into the applications folder and hey presto ...... you have just installed you new application ....

Cheers

Welcome to the community mojospirit ..........

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Installing applications and software in most cases is drag and drop. I would say that's a lot easier than clicking next, next...and then selection the location to install...and then waiting....and then clicking finish.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" alum iMac 2.4 3 gigs ram
As a fairly recent switcher myself I was really impressed with how easy it was to install an application and to uninstall an application. Much easier and simpler than doing the same things on a windows computer. It's true!

Reaction score
Is putting softwear on a mac as easy as a pc? When I buy my imac I will be having applications to download.

On the PC (I assume you used Windows), you typically installed software in one of the following ways:

1. Double-click the downloaded file (if it's an executable, self-contained installer)

2. Run setup.exe from a downloaded directory

3. Autorun from a CD/DVD

4. No real install, just copy a directory somewhere and run the app's executable directly

----

In OS X, most apps are usually installed as follows:

1. For smaller apps, double-click the downloaded .DMG (archive), and copy the program out of the DMG to the Applications folder.

2 Larger apps (MS Office, etc.) usually have a dedicated installer which is run out of the archive (DMG, ISO, etc.) or run from their respective installation media.

That's it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Yup - my experience is that it is pretty well always much simpler than putting applications on the PC - in fact, the first time I installed something I couldn't believe it had been done :) You do get as S.SubZero says, larger apps that have their own process - I've just installed Photoshop Elements 8.0 and that took quite a while - but, then, it's a pretty big set of programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Welcome to Mac-Forums. Glad to have you here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.