Has Apple messed up the use of external SD card readers?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, 8 GB Ram running Mac OS X Lion 10.7
Hi,
Has Apple messed up the use of external SD card readers, now the new iMac's with built-in card readers are out?
I could use it fine but now with OSX 6.1 I can't use it, the red light just flashes on it.
I have tried it on the Dell PC with no problems.
Is it really a coincidence that it worked ok before they released the Mac's with built-in SD card readers? :Angry:
Is anyone else having this problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
External SD card readers assumably connected by USB should work fine. Your particular machine doesn't have the SD card reader as I see from your mac specs. Simply upgrading to Snow Leopard should not have caused this device not to work.

Check to see if your SD card, in the card reader, is showing up in Disk Utility.

It is possible though improbable that since upgrading to Snow Leopard you are having hardware (your external card reader) incompatibility with your software(osx 10.6.1)...but I doubt this is the case as an SD card reader behaves just as if you inserted a USB Flash Drive into the USB port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
My external reader works fine on 10.6 on 3 different Macs... well, 2 now to be honest.. but one of them will no longer power on. The third, is a brand spankin new macbook..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hi,
Has Apple messed up the use of external SD card readers, now the new iMac's with built-in card readers are out?
I could use it fine but now with OSX 6.1 I can't use it, the red light just flashes on it.
I have tried it on the Dell PC with no problems.
Is it really a coincidence that it worked ok before they released the Mac's with built-in SD card readers? :Angry:
Is anyone else having this problem?

I am sorry are you thinking that apple has found a way to disable all external sd readers so as to force everyone who wishes to use sd to purchase a new machine ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
10.6.1 has made no difference at all to my SD card reader(s) - they both work fine - if you have a red light flashing on the reader itself, it may be a fault in the reader that is causing the problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
rMBP 3.06Ghz, MBP 2.2Ghz, Mini G4, B/W G3 (Media Server), LCII, Beige G3
I am sorry are you thinking that apple has found a way to disable all external sd readers so as to force everyone who wishes to use sd to purchase a new machine ?

I don't think he was insinuating that apple purposely disabled external card readers. I think he was simply stating that the external card reader was not working on his machine that has snow leopard and it had been before.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.06Ghz 4G Ram| iPhone 3G 8Gb
This is a strange topic, but, the same thing happened to me. I was able to use my card reader then for no reason wasn't.

Lucky for my I upgraded to the new iMac with built in card reader but it did make me wonder.

OP
willwinuk
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB, 8 GB Ram running Mac OS X Lion 10.7

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.