• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

We own PCs too.

Reaction score
You've probably seen this. It says 85% of all Mac owners also own a PC and it gives some pretty good reasons for this.

Of course, Windows fans like to poke fun at us for this fact.

I've come up with one additional reason that really is true: when I'm working on my PC I need something to keep me busy while I'm waiting for the PC to finish.

85% of Mac owners have Windows too - Apple 2.0 - Fortune Brainstorm Tech

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Depends how you define PC I guess. PC for me means personal computer, which pretty much everyone owns. If it means a machine that runs specifically the Windows OS then that obviously has a different meaning.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
Well yeah we run Mac and Windows so we kinda do own both types of a PC (personal computer.)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Depends how you define PC I guess. PC for me means personal computer, which pretty much everyone owns. If it means a machine that runs specifically the Windows OS then that obviously has a different meaning.
Absolutely. PC stands for personal computer so we all own PCs. The title of the article is a little better by stipulating that 85% of Mac users use Windows too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Though all my hardware is Apple sourced, I do run Windows and Linux VM's on them for specific tasks. Nothing wrong with using the right tool for the job.

OP
M
Reaction score
My OP shows how hard it is to write something that won't be misinterpreted.

It was not my intention to start yet another thread on the semantics of PC vs Mac. But from my the title of my OP you wouldn't know that.

Apologies to everyone who is rolling their eyes on this post.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have owned and used PC's since 1985. First was a Commodore 64 then Atari 8-Bit and ST then Amiga then DOS PC then Mac. All Personal Computers.

Now I own many Macs and many Windows systems with some Linux thrown in. Still all Personal Computers! :D

Just joking around btw. I own and use both Windows and OSX systems but prefer OSX on a Mac for 95% of what I do.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
My OP shows how hard it is to write something that won't be misinterpreted.

It was not my intention to start yet another thread on the semantics of PC vs Mac. But from my the title of my OP you wouldn't know that.

Apologies to everyone who is rolling their eyes on this post.
It's hard not to open up a semantic discussion with this topic. No worries. :)

Now, my question to complicate things: do Windows VMs count? If they do, then I have a Windows machine. If not, then I don't.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
so that Dell at school in the lab is not a PC? ;)

What model? Some of the Dells like the Optiplex are really considered Workstations! :D

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What I would like to know is...since Intel Macintosh's can run both the Mac OS & Windows OS...to avoid confusion...what the heck is the "politically correct" term to use when referring to HP, ACER, IBM, Gateway, Sony, Dell, etc., and "no-name/white-box" computers?

Although the term "PC" does technically stand for "personal computer"...I think that any of us that have been around computers long enough know that the term "PC" has long been used to refer to computers that run Windows as their primary OS.

So if it's not acceptable to call a computer that runs Windows as it's primary OS a "PC"...then what is the "politically correct" term to use when referring to these computers as a group?

To me the term "Windows Computers" would seem to be acceptable, but since Mac's can run Windows as well...technically Intel Macintosh's would or could fall into this group as well.

Thanks,

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
"PC" like you just said Pigoo just means personal computer. Although many people use it to refer to a computer running Windoze, that does NOT have to be the case. Any modern computer designed for use by one person at a time is a personal computer, and therefore can be referred to as a PC.

Reaction score
To me the term "Windows Computers" would seem to be acceptable, but since Mac's can run Windows as well...technically Intel Macintosh's would or could fall into this group as well.

Thanks,

- Nick

Now there's a good point, We all have Windows Computers.
What difference does it make anyway.

Our PC's distinguish themselves from other PC's no matter what OS you throw on it, no?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Agreed Pigoo, it's confusing! :D

What about people like me who do not run Windows on their Macs? What are we? Apple CAD's? Cool Aid Drinkers? :D

Sorry, I am in a crazy mood today!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
From this day forward shall refer to my MacBook as my :

"apple compliant computation device"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
Agreed Pigoo, it's confusing! :D

What about people like me who do not run Windows on their Macs? What are we? Apple CAD's? Cool Aid Drinkers? :D

Sorry, I am in a crazy mood today!

I can use Windows if needed, but i tend to stay away from it. I don't run it either! We're just people who use different personal computers, that's all.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What I would like to know is...since Intel Macintosh's can run both the Mac OS & Windows OS...to avoid confusion...what the heck is the "politically correct" term to use when referring to HP, ACER, IBM, Gateway, Sony, Dell, etc., and "no-name/white-box" computers?
You can call them whatever they're model name is just like we call Apple machines Macs. So, there are Macs, Dimensions, Latitues, ThinkPads...

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You can call them whatever they're model name is just like we call Apple machines Macs. So, there are Macs, Dimensions, Latitues, ThinkPads...

I understand your logic...but if someone is making a comparison or generalization between Macs & "Windows Computers"...using the exact brand name (HP, Dell, Toshiba, etc.) is sort of too specific when someone may be making a generalization that isn't brand specific.

Also remember that there are quite a large number of "Windows computers" out there that are "unbranded"...custom built computers or simply assembled & sold by "generic" companies. So that's why a more "collective" term is useful to have when talking about "Windows computers" as a group.

To me, the least offensive or confusing term for "non-Macintosh" machines is "Windows computer(s)".

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"PC" like you just said Pigoo just means personal computer. Although many people use it to refer to a computer running Windoze, that does NOT have to be the case. Any modern computer designed for use by one person at a time is a personal computer, and therefore can be referred to as a PC.

I agree with everything you said...but my question was, if "PC" is an unacceptable term to refer to computers that run Windows as their primary OS...then what would be a "politically correct" or acceptable term to call them as a group?

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.