homenetwork with vista fails

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been trying quite a few tricks, but I'm still unable to get my Macbook and Vista PC play nicely.

Just moments ago I went through this tutorial:
File sharing between XP, Vista and OS X on a local network - PC & Desktop Computers

but unfortunately still no cigar - neither computers can even see each other. My Vista has a firewall software called Comodo, but I have defined a trusted network where both of my computers reside. I have also tried setting the Mac's firewall completely off, but in vain.

Directly connecting using names or IPs fails also. In Vista I get an error message:

Error code: 0x80004005
Unspecified error

Any ideas how to get this to work? I also have Ubuntu on the PC and at some point I was able to see that from my Mac, but I would very much like to get this working from Windows.

Thanks!

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
What happens when you turn off the third party firewall altogether? I've found that most of the time this comes up, it's almost always related to third party firewalls.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Everytime it's happened to me, it has been a 3rd party firewall.

I quit using software firewalls on my home network at least 5 yrs ago due to this and rely on the router. Everytime I've had to deal with connection issues on the LAN at work it has been the stupid 3rd party software firewall the boss insists on using that has caused the issue. And it's a real pain figuring out which machine is causing it with only the 10 computers we have in the office.

If you're going to run one, you've got to at least turn it off for troubleshooting.

Reaction score
Everytime it's happened to me, it has been a 3rd party firewall.

I quit using software firewalls on my home network at least 5 yrs ago due to this and rely on the router. Everytime I've had to deal with connection issues on the LAN at work it has been the stupid 3rd party software firewall the boss insists on using that has caused the issue. And it's a real pain figuring out which machine is causing it with only the 10 computers we have in the office.

If you're going to run one, you've got to at least turn it off for troubleshooting.

Agree and the only reason I would even consider a software firewall (and if so I would use the built in Windows firewall anyway) is if I had a laptop that joining my local network that had been connected to other networks from time to time. If not, using a router would be plenty.

Also, I had problems with the file sharing and then also file/folder permissions on the vista machine before Mac could see all its files.

OP
W
Reaction score
I actually tried switching it off - I took the outside line out of the modem and shutdown the firewall on the windows machine. That too, had no effect.

I'm suspecting there's something a little off with my Vista, like a wrong register value somewhere.

Anyway, I got tired trying to figure it out and booted back to my linux side again. I turned out to be much easier to fix. After couple of minutes I got my smbconf right and was able to connect from my mac without any trouble :)

Since I had mounted my windows partition and shared that through linux I managed to get everything necessary from my pc home folder - including iTunes music :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.