• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Editing broadcast sports

Reaction score
A year later, I've finally got my DVD recorder hooked up and I'm recording all the football games on my DVR to DVD. The DVDs I'll then rip to my iMac with Handbrake.

Eventually I want to edit out all the commercials and half time shows. I've never done any video editing - any tips, software advice, etc? Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Just play with the editor you are going to use and you'll be able to easily do what you want. There are many tutorials on line too.

OP
Q
Reaction score
Alright, I tried to import in to iMovie and, of course, it doesn't like my format. I tried a bunch of different DVD rippers and couldn't get the aspect ratio correct.

When I recorded the dvd of the first game, I had the output on my Dish receiver set to widescreen. The dvd appears to have recorded it in widescreen. When I used Handbrake to rip it, it ripped in widescreen. But since Handbrake wouldn't give me a format I could import, I had to dig around. I tried about 4 different applications just called "DVD Ripper" and half of them wouldn't let me adjust the resolution, and the other half would, but would still screw up the aspect ratio and add black boxes on either side of the video.

Any tips? Do I need to record the DVD differently?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
Handbrake should give you a format you can import, if you choose the correct one - what did you try?

OP
Q
Reaction score
Everything.. mp4, mkv, avi and ogm, whatever that is. Looks like the supported formats in imovie are pretty ridiculously limited.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Everything.. mp4, mkv, avi and ogm, whatever that is. Looks like the supported formats in imovie are pretty ridiculously limited.
They are all the output settings. Try playing around with the video codec settings as well ....

Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.