• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Windows 7 overkill

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Wel for starters im not a apple fanboy, but please MS please stop saturating the market with your constant advertising of window7. Even 3 weeks prior to the release all i have seen on the box and heard on the radio is windows, windows, windows.

I mean, do they really need to bombard us with this. Was Vista that bad that they need to try and ensure all the windows users that this is THE REAL DEAL in terms of OS ???

When SL came out i didnt see one add on TV or here one add on the radio trying to FORCE sell the product to the consumers.

What have other people have to say about it.
Yes i know its called marketing, and that is the way they sell products, but please, isnt it a little overkill.

Or is it that us Mac users are more in the loop with our product that they believe it is unnecessary to advertise ... ????

Any thoughts about it. Im not a marketing guru but why the great expanse of the two companies and there marketing ???

Cheers

Edit : and please mods ........ Move if necessary Slip of the old mouse button :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I think it has to do with the loop thing...
Now that I think about it, I do hear them a lot. Windows has A LOT riding on the new release of Windows 7. If this fails(I don't think it will) Microsoft would be so screwed! I think that's why they want to be heard everywhere

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I think a lot of new product releases these days get overhyped...especially when it comes to computers...and specifically when it comes to OS releases & games.

Both in terms of time before the product launch, and the frequency of commercials.

But then again...if the company has the money to do the advertising, they're going to do it. And Microsoft does have a lot of money. Plus they want to "squash" Apple, and all of the bad press Vista got.

Also remember that roughly 90% of the personal computers on the planet run Windows as their primary OS vs. 8-10% using the Mac OS. So a lot of folks are interested in Windows 7.

Lastly...remember we are heading into the Christmas gift buying season...so even more reason for more hype & the "big push" to sell lots of product!

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
There is a big push. I know a lot of Windows users still in XP, that have refused to buy a new computer over the last couple of years only due to the bad press of Vista. Have 2 right here in my 6 person office. Neither of them are sure about Win7 yet, but they're both definitely watching.

If MS can turn it around, and appears they have, this would be a boon to computer sales over the next few months just from this group alone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MB 2.21 GHZ 2 GB Ram, 250 GB HD / Ipod Classic 80gb
Well the need to, if windows 7 fails, There Done, most guys i know switched to mac after vista and if 7 doesn't cut it, More will come to the dark side :]

Reaction score
Well the need to, if windows 7 fails, There Done, most guys i know switched to mac after vista and if 7 doesn't cut it, More will come to the dark side :]

I don't think they'd be "done." So many people/organizations are so heavily invested in Windows infrastructure they couldn't possibly just drop Microsoft.

Besides, there will always be Windows 8. :D

Reaction score
So you get Windows commercials on the tube?
I have never even seen one... honestly.
As goes for Mac commercials.

Could this be because they do not see my little country as a piece of the proverbial pie? Must be :(

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Well I guess it depends how much TV you watch? I haven't seen any Mac commercials in 6 months, and I only watch TV probably 3 times a week for an hour.

I've seen Microsoft's Windows 7 commercial twice in that time slot that I did watch TV.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Can you blame them? Outside of Office (which is their largest source of revenue), I imagine Windows is number two. With such a bad reputation attached to Vista, they have every reason to push 7.

To the OP: You don't see SL ads because Apple markets the Mac as a coherent package and doesn't market the OS independent of the hardware in advertisements. Microsoft is trying to move people to the OS while Apple is trying to move customers to the platform of which the OS is a part.

OP
TattooedMac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
To the OP: You don't see SL ads because Apple markets the Mac as a coherent package and doesn't market the OS independent of the hardware in advertisements. Microsoft is trying to move people to the OS while Apple is trying to move customers to the platform of which the OS is a part.

Point taken ........:)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Well they need to do something for their rubbishy OS.
I don't suppose Apple are the least bit bothered, having just had their most profitable quarter ever, and that's in the height of a recession.
Mac owners are the elite, and we don't need to promote ourselves, even Windows/PC owners know this. :p

Reaction score
Well they need to do something for their rubbishy OS.
I don't suppose Apple are the least bit bothered, having just had their most profitable quarter ever, and that's in the height of a recession.
Mac owners are the elite, and we don't need to promote ourselves, even Windows/PC owners know this. :p

Wow, you must be a very tall guy... having such a high horse:):)haha lol
I'm just joking Kev;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
Well it's the old saying.

A good product sells itself.
But you have to sell a bad product.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Reaction score
When Windows start Windows 95, Mac said ouch they are playing in our playground, but it was a mess, after 98 still a mess, they need second edition to correct it ??.
After Millinium, the worst of the game, after XP, need two correctif to make it stable, Vista, just like Millenium, the second worst on the market, I've tried them all, and the last one, Seven, the first stable they made, the only one I din't had the blue screen, I'm working with this one since the beta version and still on the beta, with time I'll see if I'm going to see if I'll purchase it.

For now I have fun with my MacBook Pro with SnowLeopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I'm get really annoyed with people giving Vista a hard time. It wasn't MS's fault it sucked when it first came out - it was hardware developers not bringing out drivers.

If 7 never used Vista drivers I'm almost certain we'd see a repeat of Vista's launch.

Sure Windows 7 is faster, lighter etc, but Vista is a darn fine OS too IMO.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.8, 6gb Ram, 2TB HD space, Geforce 8800GT//Macbook Pro 2.16, 2gb Ram
I happen to agree with Martyp.
I have vista installed on my Mac, and it runs fine. Sure there are annoyances, but every OS (inlcuding OS X) has its faults and annoyances.
If you want to talk about advertising, I have to say those "I'm a PC, I'm a Mac" ads are really starting to tick me off. I've seen far too many of them that its now to the point where I just want to buy a Windows based PC with Windows Millenium installed on it just out of spite.

Well ok, I wouldn't go to that extreme. But I'm just saying, I find Apple advertisements to be just as, if not more, infuriating as Microsoft ads.
In fact, all ads just ticks me off.

Wow, am I really an angry person?
Or am I just ticked off at the fact that I'm ticked off? :p

*Edit* didn't realize a certain word I used was censored. Didn't even know it was warranted for censorship. So a quick change from a natural bodily function to a more insectoid version of being angry was substituted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'm get really annoyed with people giving Vista a hard time. It wasn't MS's fault it sucked when it first came out - it was hardware developers not bringing out drivers.

If 7 never used Vista drivers I'm almost certain we'd see a repeat of Vista's launch.

Sure Windows 7 is faster, lighter etc, but Vista is a darn fine OS too IMO.

I agree and disagree with your statement there.
Yes W7 like vista before it are not bad operating systems. Sure OS X SL is better but the latest Windows has it's merits.

And I disagree with you about the drivers thing you said. Sure there was no drivers, that's 3rd party developers fault. But Microsoft should have given the major hardware developers a stable pre-release version of their software so the developers can make drivers for their new iteration of Windows. And by the public release date the developers would have had time to get the drivers ready.

Apple does this a lot with all of it developer seeds of OS X. Always making sure the important developers are kept in the loop. Windows are only lucky this time around cause a lot of the old Vista drivers also work for W7.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.