• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What do you think of the new HP Envy 13"-15"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I don't know if many of you have seen these in real life, but I got the chance to see one today, and I don't think I have ever been so mad in my life over a computer! When I saw it online, I thought it it's appearance might change once you see it in person but, I was SO wrong! This is pretty much a carbon copy of the macbook/macbook pro! From the overall shape, keys, screen, and touch pad....wow...ARE YOU KIDDING ME HP?? What, did you finally run out of goofy design swirl ideas? And the asking price....woowowowo...that's a whole other story! $1899 for the starting 13"!!
I paid more than 1600 bucks for my last hp laptop 17", it turned out to be the biggest regret of my life so far! I can't imagine how I would feel paying a premium price for an HP....to me, it's like hyundai seeing mercedes' high prices and thinking they can charge the same price because mercedes cars sell themselves! You have to see it in real life to understand my frustration...they even have "gestures" on the track pad, two finger scroll...and what not...
I don't mind saying this here, Hp, I hope you fail! All they do is bring products out to undercut other companies and force them to fail, this time though, I don't think it worked so well, so they copy them!

check it out here,
Buy Envy Laptop | HP Envy
search it on youtube videos too, check out the comments!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
The specs on it look amazing.
I mean, a 13" notebook that has:
  • an HDMI port
  • a High Definition LED display
  • a dedicated graphics card with 512MB VRAM
  • a 16.25 hour battery life (even if it's only half of that it's still amazing)
  • a 2-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader
  • Wireless-N Mini-card with Bluetooth
  • and lots more and still weighs less than 4 lbs

I see no reason to be "mad" over it.
It has plenty of features that the 13" MBP simply doesn't have and doesn't even come close to matching, so the price difference is certainly justified in my opinion.

It's a real slick notebook.
If I were in the market for a new Windows machine, I would definitely give this one some consideration.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
It weighs less because the it comes in pieces. They actually don't tell you the real battery life, only the life with the extended, larger battery(the battery is the size of the whole notebook and goes under it...kind like the under covering of the new macbooks but just thicker. From what I saw, it's not meant to permanently replace the normal battery. And these are all separate from the actual unit, cd-drive is connected to the computer with a cable(like the Air). I think you kind of missed the point though. They used to go against apple by saying they were too expensive. HP has cheap prices because they can make them cheap, so what's up with this one? Coming from an HP, I would expect this to be cheaper, not carry a price tag over a macbook. If they were arguing the whole time that you can get something better for cheaper, why do these cost more? Get what I'm trying to say? the looks...just...wth?

I forgot one thing, the other reason I don't understand the high price is this- HP has had hdmi, wireless-n, dedicated gc, hd screens, media readers, long normal batteries, 3gb ddr3, good speakers, and more for some time now, all without carrying a price tag this high. Surely this 13" isn't so expensive because it has a beastly 1.86GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, long life second battery, an HD screen that requires hd content to play in HD, or because of the HD 4330! The only thing this is after is the macbook/pro lineup...simple as that. Coming from hp, this thing should carry a price of maybe 1100, but starting at 1700!?! I don't know man, confusing is the best way to put it.

Sometimes, you have to have the same price to compete...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Wow a little emotional aren't we ! Relax they didn't do this as a personal attack on you. Looks like a good machine for those looking for a windows box. Good luck to them. Just remember we buy our machines based on the OS ! they just can't copy that.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
emotional, No! Ticked off, Yes! guess you don't see it from my point of view though...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I wonder if the trackpad does gestures like the Mac? It's large enough. I am in a hurry but did not see any mention of it.

Reaction score
emotional, No! Ticked off, Yes! guess you don't see it from my point of view though...

Ticked off is an emotion too...:) but that's okay, I like ticked off;D

The way I see it, they really want to mimic the MBP, wich I find kind of amusing.

It's a great machine though, but it's still no MacBookPro!! :):)

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
The ports are on the Right Hand side for one thing. I admit that trackpad looks like Apple but as I asked in my other post, does it do what Apples does?

Also, it will not legally run OSX. If you want OSX, you still need a Mac.

Like DB said, if I needed a high performance Windows notebook with HDMI, nice HD display, it would be worth a look.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 Inch Apple MacBook Pro; 2.40 GHZ, 4GB Ram, 250GB HDD
nice machine but i still prefer the mbp and these r overpriced

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Nice features I will admit. Mainly the dedicated card on a machine that small. I would say slightly over priced as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
hp-envy-13.jpg

It's not a... total... rip off.

Well, yea. That's a nice looking laptop, but when you see the open part of it... Wow.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
WOW, great pic there DarkestRitual! That does look very much like the MBP there.

Where did you get that pic?

I still want to know about that trackpad and what all it does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Well as they say ..." imatation is the highest form of flattery"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
The low end starts at 1699 and only has a 1.83GHz core 2 duo. 3GB of RAM (1066MHz DDR3), 250GB hdd. Expensive for a macbook pro rip off.

13 inch HP envy review

another nice pic in there...
hp-envy-13-review-03.jpg

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for that review URL. It answered my Trackpad questions as well as some others I had.

OP
iggibar
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Too many...
I believe people understand now what I was trying to say, from what I saw today at bestbuy, we had the WHOLE store to ourselves, we went specifically for a new tv, computer, and sound system. We had extensive time to look at this. What was shown in that review up there(thanks DarkestRitual) goes hand in hand with my thoughts. This is overpriced to compete with the macs, the real price should be around 1000-1200 starting! The only thing good that I like with this is...holy crap...windows 7! I actually think it ran REALLY good with 7 on it!

I also hate how hp tore Voodoo apart. The Voodoo ENVY 133 was an unbelievably nice looking laptop!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I Agree with appleXcore totally. Thanks for his table. And I made a table of my own comparing it to another Mac.

Screenshot2009-10-24at63815PM.jpg

And I forgot to add in:
13.1" Display (1366x768) - 15.6" Display (1920x1080) - 15.4-inch display 1440 x 900
No Productivity Software - No Productivity Software - ilife
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - OS X (10.6)

But for the PC's it says:
Prices, specifications, availability and terms of offers may change without notice. Despite our best efforts, a small number of items may contain pricing, typography, or photography errors. Correct prices and promotions are validated at the time your order is placed. Please note these policies apply only to products sold by the HP Home & Home Office Store; reseller offers may vary.

Oh nice pricing typos :)

And add in $100 to the Mac price and you get a 320GB 7200rpm Hard drive. Or $50 for antiglare.

I agree Macs are so not over priced.

Reaction score
Thanks for that great review, I must admit... it's impressive.

But even the packaging looks just too much like Apple packaging aside from the color, and the fact that there's more gadget's with this one, as opposed to the "Laptop, Powercord, CD's, Booklets" approach Apple has.

They even threw in the display adapter, that's gotta count for something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.