• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Macintosh Clones?

Reaction score
Just computers that could run Mac OS but weren't made by Apple. They haven't been made for awhile, I used to have one, I gave it away because It was so slow and I was never a fan of Mac OS Pre-OS X.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
The only Apple clone I have ever seen was running System 7.5. I first thought it was a PC until I booted it up

M

meltbanana314

One of the first things that Steve Jobs did when he got back in Apple was kill the clone market, that's why you don't see many (any?) Mac clones around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Sometimes I wish that Steve Jobs didn't get rid of the clone companies. I mean, there are literally tons of PC clones, but none for Mac anymore. Just think how many more Mac users there might have been if the clones stayed on the market.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
I actually still have a PowerComputing Mac clone sitting right next to me.. works great.. runs OS 9.. pretty decent computer. :) Problem was Apple really wasn't making any money and either were the clone makers.. jsut didn't work very well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
My one roommate used to have a Radius clone, I forget the model name. I think it was a 200Mhz PPC something or other. The G3s came out like 6 months or so after he bought it. It was an ugly beige box, but it was a darn good machine.
I think if they had marketed them better, the clones could have made more money. But this was during the years that Steve Jobs was out of Apple, and MS was really just growing and growing. Maybe if they hadn't gotten rid of Jobs, it would be different. Oh well, its no use dwelling on what might have been :)
I have my Macs now and I love 'em to pieces!

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y said:
Sometimes I wish that Steve Jobs didn't get rid of the clone companies. I mean, there are literally tons of PC clones, but none for Mac anymore. Just think how many more Mac users there might have been if the clones stayed on the market.

Mac wouldn't be the same if clones were still allowed. Among other things, being able to test your OS on every system that it is going to run on is a huge advantage.

E

Ex_PC_Puke

After coming from many years in the PC world -- and having dealt with "trying to make PC a kinder gentler" creature for several years (i.e. ease of use at both HW and SW and OS levels) ------ having lots of OEM manufacturers is a double edged sword --- yeah lots of machines to choose from - but the whole thing becomes a "battle of comprimises" from the OS on down to the hardware. Which is what I would calll the current PeeCee today --- a bag of compremises. And trying to make changes - like ease of use - becomes a huge deal (ripple effect) and eventually - design by commitee

I was right in the middle of all this in the 90s at Intel - they made a deal with the devil (and the other devil - MSFT) to make the PC a commodity item (meaning ubiquitous) and up performance while lowering cost to capture market share ---- well they've achieved this --- but its created a PC ghetto ----- Dell is the current slum lord --- but look out for China in the future

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G5•2x1.8•1.5•320•8x+/-
apple was and for the majority, is a hardware company. meaning they make the largest profit share on selling their machines. the incredible software they make is to help sell hardware. and now they make other hardware (read: ipod) to help sell more hardware.

their pro-apps (final cut, etc) are also in a way to sell hardware. the majority of the entertainment industry has always been mac-based, and with companies like Adobe making industry-related software on both platforms, apple had to give themselves the competitive edge. and make a pretty penny with the software profit. but is in no means enough to sustain the company.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.