• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Saving DVD to Hard Drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
I'm wondering if there is a way to save a DVD to my hard drive, and then still play it back to me. Kind of like what Alcohol 120% for a PC could do, where I would save the DVD as an image on my HD.

Thanks!

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
ok, I used Mactheripper to put the DVD to my harddrive, now how do I play it from there?

K

Kokopelli

In DVD Player use File => Open VIDEO_TS Folder. It should open up the same as a DVD.

OP
rs2sensen
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, that worked, thanks a lot! next question, when I go to burn the files onto a DVD. How exactly do I do that? I tried selecting all the files and clicking "burn." After a few minutes of burning it just gave me a disc that had been burned w/ nothing on it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 1.83GHz 2GB RAM
You, more than likely, wont be able to do that. That's because the size of 'commercial' DVD's is bigger than the ones that you'll find. Almost all films will be too big to fit on a DVD-r. You may be able to compress it, but I'm not sure about that one.

K

Kokopelli

There are a couple of commercial apps that might help you there. DVD2OneX and Popcorn seem to hold the largest mindshare at the moment. If your burn is 4.7 GB you could do it without first compressing, but most movies use dual layer so will not fit on a single layer DVD without compressing a bit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.