strange problem while video playback

Reaction score
I have a new macbook, not even a month old.

Since last couple of days my macbook has been suddenly freezing up while playing videos. Everything goes into background and I get a black screen saying something like "You need to shut down your computer. Press the power button for a few seconds to do so". It usually happens when I'm playing videos using my vlc player but once also happend while playing youtube videos.

I frequently use "Transmission" to download various videos from torrents. Is there a possibility of some kind of malware intrusion?

I have been trying to follow the trends and have noted that mostly it happens when I use transmission and vlc together.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
It's called a kernel panic. Usually it is software/driver based; sometimes hardware - most often memory.

Open up Console in Applications / Utilities and read through the error logs to see if you can determine what is causing it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.