• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

What type of mac would you for free?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0 GHZ imac intel 17" core 2 duo
If you could have any mac for free what one would it be?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro. 2.26Ghz, 4GB, 500GB HD
Obvious choice would be a new MacPro....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's like saying...if someone offered you some money, no strings attached, no taxes, no commitments:

- $100 dollars
- $1,000 dollars
- $10,000 dollars
- $1,000,000 dollars
- $10,000,000 dollars

...and then saying, which amount would you like.

How many people do you think would take the $100 bucks, and how many would take the $10,000,000 dollars???

So to put it back into a computer context. If you could have a free Apple computer, and you needed a laptop...how many people would take the bottom end $999 model versus the top end MacBook Pro??

And if you needed a desktop...why would you settle for the low end iMac, when you could have a top end 8-core Mac Pro???

- Nick

Reaction score
I agree with Nick. But, just for fun here, I'd choose either the 27" iMac all maxed out; a 15" MacPro, all maxed out or a Mac Mini, maxed out. I could use either of the three right now.

However, if I learned anything in Economics, there is no such thing as a free lunch

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Unibody MBP (2009), White MB (2009), iMac G4
Haha, that is kind of a pointless question.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I am serious by the way, I am after a G4 Cube! Anyone want to give me one for free that works? That is one Mac I have always wanted. Just lost one by $1 on Ebay!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
G4 Cube? What an awesome machine! I agree with dtravis7 on this one.

EDIT: Thinking about D3v1L80Y's signature, I don't think I'm picky as long as it keeps me dry.

Reaction score
Oooooh. A G4 Cube. I've been looking EVERYWHERE for one of those, but I've also been too lazy to get on Ebay or Craigslist to find one.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
None. Not until the Core i7 and hopefully USB 3.0 versions come out. At that point, I'd go with the 15" MacBook Pro. But they just haven't made enough of a significant advance in underlying technology since I bought my early 2008 MBP.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I am serious by the way, I am after a G4 Cube! Anyone want to give me one for free that works? That is one Mac I have always wanted. Just lost one by $1 on Ebay!

WOW...I'm surprised to hear so much interest in a G4 Cube!

There was one for sale on my local Craig's List for $100 bucks or OBO last Friday. I wasn't like "I Gotta have it!"...but I wouldn't mind getting it for a cheap price. I think that it came with an older ADC Apple monitor as well.

Anyways...it was $100 bucks...I offered the seller $50...figuring we might agree on $75...but I never heard back from the seller. Somebody else probably snapped it up!:(

- Nick

Reaction score
WOW...I'm surprised to hear so much interest in a G4 Cube!

There was one for sale on my local Craig's List for $100 bucks or OBO last Friday. I wasn't like "I Gotta have it!"...but I wouldn't mind getting it for a cheap price. I think that it came with an older ADC Apple monitor as well.

Anyways...it was $100 bucks...I offered the seller $50...figuring we might agree on $75...but I never heard back from the seller. Somebody else probably snapped it up!:(

- Nick

The Power Mac G4 Cube is a piece of art, and is believe you me, highly sought after among Apple aficionados. I think the Mac Mini is another piece of art (to an extent); but it isn't exactly sought after, mainly b/c Apple hasn't discontinued it. (If anything, Apple should redesign it). It sucks though if someone else snapped it up. I looked on my local CL and the seller had two, both were heavily modified and lacked the original internal grey case (inside the clear plastic). He also added unnecessary lights and fans that weren't exactly needed in certain places (one is all you really need). I absolutely hate it when people modify the G4 Cube like that. One fan and maybe some hardware upgrades will do for me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
-->
My local CL has a Cube with a 17" display for $600!! Seems kind of high to me. :Smirk:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I'd love to get my hands on a G4 Cube but I really want a G4 iMac. They're so pretty....

Reaction score
I don't think the question is pointless or analogous to "how much money would you take for free". Not everyone wants a desktop computer, and not everyone that wants a laptop wants the same form factor etc.

If I were going to choose a laptop I'd choose the top of line MacBook Pro 17", but if I were going to choose a desktop I'd probably take the top of the line iMac because I like the form factor...of course if I get to choose an Apple display with my MacPro that might be a different story :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't think the question is pointless or analogous to "how much money would you take for free". Not everyone wants a desktop computer, and not everyone that wants a laptop wants the same form factor etc.

If I were going to choose a laptop I'd choose the top of line MacBook Pro 17", but if I were going to choose a desktop I'd probably take the top of the line iMac because I like the form factor...of course if I get to choose an Apple display with my MacPro that might be a different story :)

That was my main point above (maybe it wasn't very clear)...that if someone could get one of the new Mac's for free...pretty much everyone would choose the "top of the line" in the form factor they prefer.

That was also my analogy with the "free money"...why would someone only take $100 for free, when they could take $10,000,00 for free (unless they were already a multi-billionaire, in which case, $10,000,000 would be chump change)!!!;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
I'd say a Macbook Air.

I wouldn't use it much but dang what a beautiful notebook! :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 MacBook Air, 2.13GHZ, 4GB RAM, 256GB Flash Memory, SuperDrive, 32GB iPhone 4
thats what i was thinking at first, Macbook Air, just because they are really cool, but then I keep on remembering how sweet that Mac Pro is every time i max one out on the Apple website to see how much i can get the price tag up to, and now i cant decide which one i would rather have, thanks a lot, now ill never get to sleep tonight...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17 inch 2 GHz C2D imac (5,1) with 3GB DDR2 RAM, X1600 (128MB memory) GPU - OSX 10.6.3
I'd take the Lisa for free complete with box and instructions. But that'll never happen as they go for at times more them a standard config Mac Pro. But I can dream yes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I'd say a Macbook Air.

I wouldn't use it much but dang what a beautiful notebook! :D

You know, I'm going to have to agree. I would be able to bring it to school because the HTML/CSS/PHP editor we use sucks, nothing compared to Dashcode.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.