New Macbook vs Mid-2009 Macbook Pro 13...

Reaction score
Well I bought a Macbook Pro 13 about six weeks ago, I'm very happy with it, but I'm a little peeved that the new macbook is basically the same model, with a larger hard drive and minus a couple of things (firewire 800, sd card slot, backlit keyboard).

I intend to use the firewire port for an external hard drive so that's one benefit, and I like the backlit keyboard, but are these really worth an extra £100?

They're clearly going to boost the specs on the MacBook Pro 13 soon as I'm not really sure how they can classify it as 'pro' when it's virtually the same as the macbook...

Obviously I know this is the risk when you buy new computers, but does no-one else think it's a little cheeky to bring out a 'pro' model and then, 4 months later, upgrade the entry level model to virtually the same (with a larger HD)?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Not at all, because as you said, the Pro model should be seeing a bump soon, once again differentiating the two model lines. Expensive stuff gets cheaper over time. It's called progress.

I bet you weren't complaining when you bought your Macbook Pro knowing that some guy who bought his Macbook Pro a year ago got a slower computer than you.

OP
J
Reaction score
Not at all, because as you said, the Pro model should be seeing a bump soon, once again differentiating the two model lines. Expensive stuff gets cheaper over time. It's called progress.

I bet you weren't complaining when you bought your Macbook Pro knowing that some guy who bought his Macbook Pro a year ago got a slower computer than you.

I understand where you're coming from, and I know that this is another one of those 'Apple updated just after I bought' threads - and I'm VERY happy with my mac.

But, I'm a little cynical as to why Apple bought out the macbook pro 13, when they knew that four months later, they were going to be bringing out this new macbook? I know technology moves fast nowadays and what you can get now will be outclassed in a year's time; I understand this. My point is why bring out a new 'pro' model, when, within 120 days(!) it's going to be a 'pretty' version of the base model?

I know the specs weren't that spectacular compared to the old white macbook, but they were enough to make me decide it was worth the extra money - if I were buying now, I'm not so sure that'd be the case.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that for £899 the 13" Macbook Pro is a good notebook, but this has soured my 'First Apple' experience a little. I don't want to be the guy in a year who has to 'admit' to buying the 13" Macbook Pro...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Because like I said, the Pro model is also going to be updated very soon. The Pro and non-Pro lines have almost always been updated a few weeks apart.

I'm not sure what you mean by your last line. Admit to buying the Macbook Pro?

OP
J
Reaction score
I'm not sure what you mean by your last line. Admit to buying the Macbook Pro?

Imagined future conversation...

"What Mac is that?"

"Oh it's a 13" Macbook Pro..."

"Cool! What's that then?"

"Oh it's the one they bought out for four months before they made the white one virtually the same for less money"

"Gutted..."

Now I'm not saying that Apple should stop updating, or should replace my mac; I'm not getting angry or ranting; I'm just saying it's a little bit of a shame that my macbook will probably go down in 'history' as a transition model - maybe I'm to blame for not 'researching' Apple's update history etc etc.

It's just a drag you know? Surely people can see that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, not really, because your presuming people really pay attention to this sort of stuff. You feel gipped, but trust me, nobody cares and after a while, neither will you. You'll look back to this time and think of how silly you were to have gotten worked up over something so trivial.

Does your computer still perform all the functions you need it to? Then that's all that matters. I'm running a Macbook from late 2006 and almost three years later it's still running as fast as it was on day one, if not faster (due to hardware upgrades and Snow Leopard optimizations). The laptop still does everything I need it to do and by the looks of it, will continue doing so for years to come. That's one of the best things about Apple products, they last forever.

So your computer seems a bit outdated now, who cares? You'll be using that thing for at least 4-5 years. Just imagine how many hardware upgrades the Macbooks will see in that time. You're not planning on getting upset at each one, are you? ;P

OP
J
Reaction score
;D I guess I'm just annoyed cos I can't look down on those 'plastic ones' anymore!!!;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram, 500GB WD 7200rpm HDD
You are annoyed cause you bought your macbook pro 4 months ago?
I got it 2 days ago and today apple drops the price here in australia by $300!
This is called Apple!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive
;D I guess I'm just annoyed cos I can't look down on those 'plastic ones' anymore!!!;D

Sure you can. The new Macbook may look all molded and 'unibody' but that unibody is made from polycarbonate (read: plastic.)

I think the aluminum body, the probably better screen, backlit keyboard and firewire 800 are absolutely worth the higher price tag. I have the same Macbook Pro as you and when Apple came out with the new Macbooks I was all 'meh', mine's better.

I'm sure I'll drool over the new pro when it comes out but I won't cry.

Reaction score
I bought my new 13" MBP two days before they released the new Macbook. I was even at the Apple store talking to some of the Mac Genius people and they never mentioned it. I opted for the upgraded 13" MBP (2.53,4GB,etc...) and after thinking about it I still would have made the same decision. I really like the SD card, the backlit keyboard, and the aluminum body. If you would rather have the new Macbook you could probably sell your MBP and have enough money to get the new one. I can see them making the entry level 13" MBP the same specs as the upgraded one and dropping the price a few hundred bucks.

Reaction score
I bought my new 13" MBP two days before they released the new Macbook. I was even at the Apple store talking to some of the Mac Genius people and they never mentioned it. I opted for the upgraded 13" MBP (2.53,4GB,etc...) and after thinking about it I still would have made the same decision. I really like the SD card, the backlit keyboard, and the aluminum body. If you would rather have the new Macbook you could probably sell your MBP and have enough money to get the new one. I can see them making the entry level 13" MBP the same specs as the upgraded one and dropping the price a few hundred bucks.

I would be a little annoyed if i where you. The new macbook is very good it is missing a few elements in which they had in the mid range but if your a user who is not realy bothered about that i would opt for the new one

Reaction score
Well, I know my Dad bought me a Mac Mini about two-three weeks before the new one came out. But I really don't mind. I know how to take them apart (taken apart my neighbor's Mini after she said it overheated) and upgrade the internals. Fun stuff to do, and with the stuff Apple does with Mac OS X, I'll probably use it for a long time. (Though I can't say the same for my Power Mac. Upgrading what needs to upgraded in it costs nearly as much as a brand new MacBook!)

Reaction score
Hey does anyone think that apple will update the Macbook Pro line this year? Or will it be in 2010? I know you can't really know, but just based off your knowledge and experiences, what do you think?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13 inch alMacBook 2GHz C2D 4G DDR3, 1.25GHz G4 eMac
I understand where you're coming from, and I know that this is another one of those 'Apple updated just after I bought' threads - and I'm VERY happy with my mac.

But, I'm a little cynical as to why Apple bought out the macbook pro 13, when they knew that four months later, they were going to be bringing out this new macbook? I know technology moves fast nowadays and what you can get now will be outclassed in a year's time; I understand this. My point is why bring out a new 'pro' model, when, within 120 days(!) it's going to be a 'pretty' version of the base model?

I know the specs weren't that spectacular compared to the old white macbook, but they were enough to make me decide it was worth the extra money - if I were buying now, I'm not so sure that'd be the case.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that for £899 the 13" Macbook Pro is a good notebook, but this has soured my 'First Apple' experience a little. I don't want to be the guy in a year who has to 'admit' to buying the 13" Macbook Pro...

It's still in a polycarbonate enclosure. Unibody or not, it's still plastic. I says quit your whinin'! The MBP 13 inch came out right after I bought the aluminum MacBook 13 inch. I didn't cry any because the pro has a combined audio input/output and I need both in and out to record my tracks (no firewire interface, and I would have been forced to purchase one if I wanted to record on a 13 inch MBP). My processor is 260MHz slower! Wahhhh! My keyboard isn't backlit, and that's standard now! Wahhh!

I still have an awesome machine and am not crying any. Enjoy your computer. If you want to get a new one, save up and get a new one. :p Until then, know you're well served.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Hey does anyone think that apple will update the Macbook Pro line this year? Or will it be in 2010? I know you can't really know, but just based off your knowledge and experiences, what do you think?

Earlier in the thread someone posted the the Pro and Non Pro lines are usually updated not too far apart. So you can most likely expect an update probably before Christmas. If not that early than maybe the beginning of 2010.

Reaction score
Earlier in the thread someone posted the the Pro and Non Pro lines are usually updated not too far apart. So you can most likely expect an update probably before Christmas. If not that early than maybe the beginning of 2010.

Thanks, I did see that, just wanted to touch on it a little more. I'm hoping to get a macbook pro 13 inch soon, so I want to get it at a good time.:Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.