1 month old MacBook, now they update it?!?

Reaction score
O.K., so I just got my MacBook a month ago, after months of research and deciding. Don't get me wrong, I love this thing (I have the 13" white MacBook). But now I read that they have totally revamped it and updated it. The salesman at the Apple Store did not mention that Apple would be doing this - I even asked him if they would be updated any time soon. Geez, that's frustrating. I would have held out for the newer version.

Ah well, this one will have to do!

Reaction score
O.K., so I just got my MacBook a month ago, after months of research and deciding. Don't get me wrong, I love this thing (I have the 13" white MacBook). But now I read that they have totally revamped it and updated it. The salesman at the Apple Store did not mention that Apple would be doing this - I even asked him if they would be updated any time soon. Geez, that's frustrating. I would have held out for the newer version.

Ah well, this one will have to do!

I dont think they can do that. They can only try to sell you what they have in stock and not what might coming to the store. I've been hearing a lot about the new Macs that are coming out and if i go into an apple store today and ask about them they will never tell me anything about them. There job is to sell what they have. Just my 2cents
I've had a Macbook since fathers day and now i'm thinking about updating as well. ;D

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Get ready folks. Here we go again!

That salesman at the Apple store - wouldn't have had a clue as to when or what might be coming. You think anyone, much less Apple, would be able to keep their new product launches a secret if they let all the 19-25 yr old salesmen they've got in on it? Hah, fat chance.

Reaction score

That salesman at the Apple store - wouldn't have had a clue as to when or what might be coming. You think anyone, much less Apple, would be able to keep their new product launches a secret if they let all the 19-25 yr old salesmen they've got in on it? Hah, fat chance.

NUFF SAID!!LOL So true!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Very funny! I was thinking exactly the same thing when I saw the title of this thread!

HELLO folks...this is what happens when you feel you need to buy a new computer (versus refurbished or used)...there's always the chance that a new model will be released 1 day, 1 week, or 1 month after you purchase your new computer!

This is what Apple does...this is why you get the [size=+2]WOW[/size] factor when Apple releases something new. Many times it's some really cool stuff, with new or better features...at the same price as a previous model.

If Apple announced what they were going to do ahead of time...not only would this KILL the sales of any currently selling models...but you would also lose the WOW or surprise factor.

- Nick

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Do you use the Firewire port? The new model doesn't have one.

Reaction score
My niece got a MacBook about 1.5-2 months ago, and I know she will be "not happy." Ironically, she got an iPhone 3G about 1-2 months before the iPhone 3GS came out ... she seems to have bad luck when purchasing her Apple stuff.

The biggest dissapointment to me (if I had recently purchased the "old" MacBook) would be the trackpad. The new multi touch glass trackpad is superb!

Question: Does the "old" MacBook have DDR2 RAM? I see that the new one has DDR3 RAM.

OP
M
Reaction score
Well, the good folks at HP tuned me in to some updated products when I got my desktop a couple of years ago. Apple could do the same, no need to defend them so vehemently. Guess it's too much to expect these days. And don't kid yourself - these guys know exactly when the new products are coming out, and what new products are coming out. Having worked in the retail music industry for a long time, we know about new products months before they actually become available, come on! The new products just don't show up at your store out of the blue and surprise everyone! That's almost on par with not telling a customer about the big blowout sale you are having tomorrow - it's a shame.

That said, there was some sarcasm involved in the thread title (a fair degree of sarcasm - even though I forgot the "t" in "they") - Sorry some of you didn't quite pick up on that. I actually like my MacBook quite a lot. Just a little honesty from the 40-something sales rep (not the 20-something rep) I dealt with would have been nice is all. It still costs the same, not like they would lose out on a sale.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
You'd be well advised to listen to what people here are saying.

The folks in the stores know absolutely nothing. In very rare cases, they find out the day before. One day. Most of the time, they find out that same time we do. If they open the boxes beforehand, they're fired, instantly.

This isn't some recording artist whose publicist tells everyone and his agent that the new Ludacris album is coming out in April to build "buzz." Apple gets plenty of buzz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
If you want the latest in technology dont buy anything and keep waiting. Tech changes constantly.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook 2.1GHz Core 2 Duo | 1GB RAM | OS X 10.6.3 | 250GB External HD | 8GB iPod Touch 1st Gen 3.1.3
I think you'll be fine with that. You don't need to get the most recently updated Mac that Apple releases. If that were true, everyone would have bought them all. I'm still moving along with my year old white MacBook. Will I update soon? Sure. But I'm going to push my MacBook until she quits before I consider buying a brand new Mac. I'm still very happy about it! You shouldn't worry about having the most recent. As Eric559 stated, you would just be waiting all the time.

You will (and do) love your Mac!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
You'd be well advised to listen to what people here are saying.

The folks in the stores know absolutely nothing. In very rare cases, they find out the day before. One day. Most of the time, they find out that same time we do. If they open the boxes beforehand, they're fired, instantly.

This isn't some recording artist whose publicist tells everyone and his agent that the new Ludacris album is coming out in April to build "buzz." Apple gets plenty of buzz.

This right here. I have several friends who work at the Apple Store and these aren't guys that simply toe the company line, they've shown me all sorts of ways to get discounts on Apple products, and they all tell me the same thing: they don't know about new product launches till 24-48 hours prior to release. There are a few exceptions, like the OS launches, but for hardware, it's very secret. So no, the sales rep you talked to didn't know this was coming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP 2.26GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM 320 GB HD
such is life. there's always going to be something bigger and better, just gotta be happy with what ya have.

OP
M
Reaction score
technologist - Calm dow, calm down....I'd be well-advised?? Are you serious?!? Give me a break - must have touched a nerve. You may have a point, however, when you say the people in the stores "know absolutely nothing." And I'm sorry for your friends not knowing what their employer is up to.

cuhnool - I do love the Mac, that's for sure. I was just being sarcastic, but I'm learning that a lot of folks get really touchy about Apple when they feel it's being bashed in some way. It's just a computer!! - LOL - I think the MacBook (latest version or not) is pretty great. It's all in the OS - everything else, for the most part, is cosmetic.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
Forum regulars here aren't getting touchy because they feel that Apple is being bashed, but rather they're getting touchy because we see nonsense threads like this every time Apple comes out with something new.

It's always "I just bought X product two months ago and Apple just came out with something new. I feel entitled to complain and make unreasonable requests like Apple should replace my perfectly good computer with a new one ASAP!"

This thread comes off as another one of those threads, so it's understandable why the forum regulars are a bit peeved, even though you meant it to be sarcastic. Don't take it personally.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
technologist - Calm dow, calm down....I'd be well-advised?? Are you serious?!? Give me a break - must have touched a nerve. You may have a point, however, when you say the people in the stores "know absolutely nothing." And I'm sorry for your friends not knowing what their employer is up to.

That may be true of other companies, but secrecy at Apple is legendary. They are so secretive about new products, that they've been known to deliberately set up employees to weed out moles. No company in the industry is nearly as secretive as Apple. If you're familiar with the history of the company, it's easy to see why it's this way - particularly the interaction with Microsoft when when the Mac was under development.

And if you don't take my word for it, here's some results from just a quick Google of the words 'Apple' and 'secrecy':

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/23/technology/23apple.html
Why Is Apple so Secretive?
Apple Secrecy a Double Edged Sword | News | The Mac Observer

We've had Apple retail employees as members here, and I can tell you based on their stories that what you are hearing is indeed true.

cuhnool - I do love the Mac, that's for sure. I was just being sarcastic, but I'm learning that a lot of folks get really touchy about Apple when they feel it's being bashed in some way. It's just a computer!! - LOL - I think the MacBook (latest version or not) is pretty great. It's all in the OS - everything else, for the most part, is cosmetic.

People aren't being defensive, they're just trying to explain why you're getting the kind of responses you are. Also, I'd advise you to tone it down - arrogance and ignorance do not make the best combination for a new member.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Keeping the new product releases a secret is an extremely smart move by Apple as far as sales. No one would buy current products knowing there is a better one coming.

Great new products Apple!

OP
M
Reaction score
cwa107 - Not being arrogant or ignorant at all - far from it. The point now has been completely lost on almost everyone, unfortunately (which is funny in and of itself). Thanks for the advice, but those qualities are equally unbecoming of "old" members. Just FYI.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.