Putting Ram, and a Hard Drive in the G5

R

RobDreugan

For anyone that has a G5, I'm just wondering how difficult this is to physically do.

I've done this countless times on a PC, I just want to be sure that like, the Ram slots aren't hidden under both G5 chips or I have to completely disassemble the case to put a hard drive in and reach the controller.

Any info will be most appreciated.

thanks,

Rob

OP
T

Trogdor

They had a clear side case on display at one store. The RAM slots are very easy to get to, to the left is wide open spaces, you have to upgrade in pairs, i forget the perfect erm for it, but they are matched pairs, dual channel i believe. You need DDR400 Dual Channel memeory. AS for the Hard drive, I saw 2 drive bays at the top right of the system, there is rom to at 1 HD more. I looked over the case didn't see much more room then that for upgrades, other then the 3 PCI slots.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" iMac G4 800MHz 1GB RAM
From what I've seen, you take the 4 screws apple has included inside the case, screw them into the 4 points of the hard drive, slide it in, connect it to the power and SATA connection, and you're done. Simple as that. The RAM isn't much harder, although I didn't take a real close look at that yet. But like Trogdor said, you must install RAM in pairs.

OP
R

RobDreugan

Emrys said:
From what I've seen, you take the 4 screws apple has included inside the case, screw them into the 4 points of the hard drive, slide it in, connect it to the power and SATA connection, and you're done. Simple as that. The RAM isn't much harder, although I didn't take a real close look at that yet. But like Trogdor said, you must install RAM in pairs.

Again, I know the procedure of how to install a hard drive, and that the ram needs be DDR400, in pairs, and non-parity.

I just wanted to be sure that the case isn't designed in a way where I have to start removing chunks of it, to get to where the ram is, or the secondary controller to attach a data cable.

In my dealings with other "name brand" computers like working on dell's, compaq's etc.... I've found many times you'll have to remove things from the system, unless you have child size hands in order to get to sections of the MB.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
Nahh, apple is pretty good about making adding ram more easy. I rem the old 2nd or 3rd gen iMac (where it started) and all you had to do was lift a tiny piece of plastic up put a chip in and ur done... ah i love it.

OP
H

hokiethang

Graphite said:
Nahh, apple is pretty good about making adding ram more easy. I rem the old 2nd or 3rd gen iMac (where it started) and all you had to do was lift a tiny piece of plastic up put a chip in and ur done... ah i love it.

yeah and the powerbook where all you do is flip the keyboard up to upgrade the ram. Apple cares about their users and realizes they will upgrade their machines theirselves instead of paying for someone to install it for them.

OP
D

dziner

The RAM is installed directly behind the front fans. The fans simply slide out giving you access to the RAM. The hard drive slides right into place below the factory one. Again - quite simple. And the manual that comes with your G5 shows you in detail how this is done.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.