System maintenance

Reaction score
I am new to Macs from PC. On a PC you have to defragment the hard drive and do registry clean-ups etc, what do you have to do on a Mac?

Also on a PC you install programmes and they install into the registry and other places on the machine, how does this happen on a Mac? If you just delete the programme from the Apps folder is it off the Mac for good?
cheers
Paul

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Welcome to the world of Mac, and it's maintenance free ways!
No, no maintenance of the kind you mention needed at all, though there are one or two free programs that will run OSX's in built maintenance for you if needed.
Regarding uninstalling, yes, just drag the app to the trash and empty it, and it's gone, though occasionally you will get some apps that install things in your start up folder, and they need to be removed separately (same method).

Reaction score
I am new to Macs from PC. On a PC you have to defragment the hard drive and do registry clean-ups etc, what do you have to do on a Mac?

Also on a PC you install programmes and they install into the registry and other places on the machine, how does this happen on a Mac? If you just delete the programme from the Apps folder is it off the Mac for good?
cheers
Paul

Personally, I would just leave it to do it's thing. I've tried out a bunch of cache cleaning programs and general process forcing applications. I tend not to use them unless I feel there is a very good reason.

The Mac has a number of routines it runs without you knowing. It's often worth leaving your Mac on whilst your doing other things (cooking, shower etc...) as sometimes it appears to take these opportunities to do some housework.

The only application I would seriously recommend using when things are going seriously wrong (which hasn't happened to me for years now) is to run Disc Warrior. Probably considered to be the best directory rebuilder around.

The other one I would force is Rebuilding Permissions which can be done from applications>utilities>disc utility. Other than that, leave it alone and i'm sure it will be fine.

Rimmer

Reaction score
Whoa. Mac OS X does housework? :p

So it basically cleans itself up in the background? That is cool. Does Windows do that, because it sure would help with the headache I'm getting from trying to defrag it so I can get it out of my room!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.