Went to install new HDD

Reaction score
So I went to install my new HDD in my macbook and when I pulled the old drive out I saw those little holders that look like a very small starbit in side the original drive, do you have to take these out to put the new drive in? If so I am ganna have to wait till tomorrow to do it :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
those are the drive fixing screws. to prevent the HD from moving around. you need a T6 (irrc what its called) screwdriver.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
Ya T6 Torx and man I have like a T8 and ran to walmart to get one they didnt have it either. :( I prolly shouldnt be doing this right now while tired either. booo

Reaction score
those are the drive fixing screws. to prevent the HD from moving around. you need a T6 (irrc what its called) screwdriver.

Good work !
Very cool, looking great so far. Keep going, I wanna see it finished! :D

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
Well I got the new HDD installed, 500GB on it. But it seems like it takes a little longer to start up now. I used Carbon Copy to clone the harddrive. Everything seems to be working though.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13", 2.26Ghz Core 2 Duo, 8GB Ram, 500GB WD 7200rpm HDD
I just bought an external 640gb hdd in addition to my 500gb hdd which i installed in my macbook pro 13. I didn't notice any slowdowns.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
I dunno maybe its just one of those things where you think its taking longer, I never really paid to much attention to when it booted with the original HDD in there. But I guess the real thing is, is that everything is working :)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Most of us who used CCC or SuperDuper to copy the contents of the old drive to the new one to make a swap, have noticed the same boot time slowdown. Try resetting your PRAM - NVRAM to see if that helps. LINK

If that doesn't resolve it, the only other way is to do a clean install and use your Time Machine backup to restore. When I upgraded to Snow Leopard and did a clean install and used Time Machine to restore, my boot time was cut in half.

Regards.

OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
So I would have to put my old HDD back inside it do a time machine backup and then put in the new hdd and just install and restore from backup??
I am ganna try to do that Pram thing and see

Reaction score
If you're interested in sharing your development cost, let me know and we can talk more.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.