I've had trouble burning DL DVD's in windows XP

Reaction score
Before I ask my question, let's begin with some background info -

Last month (Sept) when I had Windows XP on my macbook pro, someone on GameBoomers.com told me to d/l & use Nero Drive Speed to slow down the computer's optical drive in order to get past the CD Speed Check that came up when I tried to install a DOS game under DOSbox on the Win XP side of my macbook pro.

Since I had use the Nero Drive Speed in my macbook pro, I've had trouble burning DL DVD's in windows XP, which one of the mods on the tech forum at GameBoomers here told me that Nero Drive Speed might have installed a low level driver or a filter driver. Next thing I knew, my family made me eliminate Windows XP from my macbook pro. This all happened last month.

Here's my questions: 1) What exactly are low level/filter drivers, and how do they might interfere with burning DL DVD's when running Windows XP in my macbook pro? 2) Does eliminating Windows XP from my macbook pro restore the optical drive's burning capacities back to the way it was when I first took my macbook pro out of the box after I ordered the computer from apple.com?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's my questions: 1) What exactly are low level/filter drivers, and how do they might interfere with burning DL DVD's when running Windows XP in my macbook pro? 2) Does eliminating Windows XP from my macbook pro restore the optical drive's burning capacities back to the way it was when I first took my macbook pro out of the box after I ordered the computer from apple.com?

The mod was talking about the "Upper" and "Lower" filters which are registry entries in XP that have to do with your CD\DVD drive and its burning capability. However, removing XP as you did will remove all reference to any filters and the capability of your Superdrive in OS X should not be affected.

But you remember me telling you that if Nero Drive Speed altered the firmware on your Superdrive that it could impact speed? I don't know exactly what Nero Drive Speed does or how it works.

Here's what it says on the website:

Nero DriveSpeed description:

A utility to set the reading speed of a CD-ROM drive

Nero DriveSpeed is a utility to set the reading speed of a CD-ROM drive. The ability for limiting the reading speed of a CD-ROM drive is a must have feature for high speed drives.
although a high speed drive allows you to transfer data in less time, there are some disadvantages of using such a drive: Noise, Spin-up/down times, and reading damaged disks.

What's New in This Release:

· Added seven new methods to detect the speed settings
· Increased compatibility
· Added Silent, Fast and Stop buttons
· Fixed command line parameter bug
· Small improvements and bug fixes

Are you still having problems?

Regards.

OP
K
Reaction score
We took the MBP to the Genius Bar at the Apple store, they looked at it, and said they're not allowed to touch the windows side at all, but they did test the burning on the OS X side, which showed the Genius that there was a problem. Then they fixed the software in the OS X side, and all burns - SL and DL DVD's - burn as they should after this. Then after I got the computer back home, I tried burning a DL DVD on the windows side (this was after the Genius told me to reinstall (archive and install) OS X, and Windows XP, which I did) using 1) Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 Free, and 2) Roxio 8, but in both of these cases, the burns failed in Windows. Then my family made me eliminate Windows XP from my MBP - I had to remove the bootcamp partition using BootCamp Assistant. Since I took Windows out of my MBP, I've been burning DL DVD's perfectly fine in OS X.

Why did it work in OS X and not in Windows XP? This was 1 month ago.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Why did it work in OS X and not in Windows XP? This was 1 month ago.

The only thing I can think of is that it's possible the drive was not recognized as being DL capable or it was driver related. I don't use Roxio but I do have the free Ashampoo Burning Studio 6 and have never had any trouble with it burning single layer disks. I have never had a reason to burn a DL disk.

I'm about to install Windows 7 Home Premium this weekend when I have some time. I'll find out then if I can burn DL or not. But I guess I'll have to buy some DL disks first. :)

Regards.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.