Skype on Mac OSX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody Macbook Pro 13'' 2.26GHz 4GB RAM 320GB 7200RPM HDD
Anyone uses Skype on Mac OSX for overseas calls with friends or relatives? Im using a 2009 unibody Macbook Pro

1) From what i know there is an internal microphone somewhere on the MBP, do i still need to get a speaker/headset to Skype? Or is it 'integrated' in.

2) And my iSight camera at the top of my screen is integrated with Skype too right? Meaning i dont needa get a seperate webcam.

Thanks

Reaction score
Anyone uses Skype on Mac OSX for overseas calls with friends or relatives? Im using a 2009 unibody Macbook Pro

1) From what i know there is an internal microphone somewhere on the MBP, do i still need to get a speaker/headset to Skype? Or is it 'integrated' in.

2) And my iSight camera at the top of my screen is integrated with Skype too right? Meaning i dont needa get a seperate webcam.

Thanks

1) No.

2. Yes, you don't have to buy a separate webcam.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
The mic is located near the top center of the left speaker holes. You can use it with Skype, but the person/people you're talking to may be able to hear themselves talking as the mic is right above the left speaker. The iSight camera can be used with Skype by simply clicking the video icon to start streaming video. I simple fix you can use to avoid the other party hearing themselves would be to use headphones to hear them so the sound is going straight to your ears and you can still use the built in mic. I tend to use my headset at all times though. They have the headphone part so I can hear and the mic part so it is next to my mouth at all times and I don't have to stay hovering over my MBP. Good luck.

Reaction score

Thanks

Same computer here. Use it from Doha in the Arab Emirates to chat to my GF in Bristol Uk for around an hour last year through a hotel Wifi connection. Worked absolutely fine with no extra hardware. You'd always be better with a mic/headset but then you have to look like a call centre operative which is not a good look ;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24in, Macbook, 8g iTouch, 32g iTouch
I've had mixed success using my various bluetooth headsets with my skype/MacBook/iMac.

On my Macbook my headset works flawlessly and it allows me to be within ~30 feet of the computer during the call.

Om my iMac sound quality is crap but the microphone works great so I route my incoming sound to my speakers and leave the input going through the headset. Still wireless but need to be in auditory range of the speakers during the conversation.

An iphone/itouch is the ultimate Skype/Mac connection. You can use the itouch app and headphone/mic as (limited by Wifi range) cordless phone. There are several apps available including the official Skype app to utilise this.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.