how to clean my mac

Reaction score
hello guys, i just got my new MacBook pro

how to clean out the internet history etc.

i know on my pc i had these one click software that i just open and it would clean my computer out such as the internet history, Cookies etc.

and it would clean up left over files that are left from software that i have uninstall...

is there a software like that for the mac?

like usually when i delete a photo or uninstall things there are files that are left over which i really don't like so i use this software CCleaner to clean it out

do i need to clean out the registry like i do on a pc?

oh this is the new macBook pro the 09 and its the 13inc. 4gb the OS X

xoxoxo

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
To clean your Internet history, you need only clear it in Safari or Firefox. As far as cleaning applications goes, you can just move the application to the trash can and it's enough. You can take it a step further by using AppCleaner which will also delete the configuration files.

There is no registry in the Mac to worry about.

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
1st off, Macs don't have a registry so there is no need to want to clean it. There are programs for cleaning out parts of the Mac. Here is a link for Onyx for Leopard Apple - Downloads - System/Disk Utilities - OnyX and one for Snow Leopard's Beta Onyx OnyX 2.1b4 software download - Mac OS X - VersionTracker. I would be cautious using the Beta version for Snow Leopard. I myself, am waiting for the final version to be released. To clear the history on Safari, open Safari then History > Clear History. If you want to delete only certain pages you've visited (don't ask don't tell), you can go History > Show All History and then single click on the website and hit delete. When you delete images or files, there is no other mess attributed with them most of the time. If you are really paranoid, you can try AppZapper - The uninstaller Apple forgot.. It's free for 5 uses then $12.95 for the full version after that. Welcome to the world of Mac and good luck!

OP
C
Reaction score
strange noise

i have one more question when i put in a cd in to the drive it makes this noise...is that suppose to happen?

Thanks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
What kind of noise? It should make some noises and it shouldn't make others.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
People that switch from PC to Mac are often scared of the new disk drive noise. The sound is standard and is usually amplified in notebooks. Unless the sound is a deafening crunch, you probably don't need to worry.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
hi there candy1987.... Welcome to Mac Forums and your new Mac.

I use apptrap to get rid of any un wanted files and folder associated with any particular piece of software, and u can download itHERE All you need to do is once its installed leave it alone and when u drag a App to the bin it will get rid of any associated folders and files that go with it. Cant get any simpler than that. But if u have software uninstaller use that, for that particular piece of software.

Cheers and enjoy your time here....

OP
C
Reaction score
ok guys thanks!! just one last question

im in school so i need a word processor so i was thinking about iwork 09 and i want to know if i can write something in word and open it in iwork 09..

i have MS office 2003 in my pc and also that is what my school pc have so i wanted to know if i do anything in MS office if i can open it, read or edit it in iworks 09?

and if i can do to the same thing in iwork 09 and open edit it in MS office?

Thanks

xoxox

Reaction score
ok guys thanks!! just one last question

im in school so i need a word processor so i was thinking about iwork 09 and i want to know if i can write something in word and open it in iwork 09..

i have MS office 2003 in my pc and also that is what my school pc have so i wanted to know if i do anything in MS office if i can open it, read or edit it in iworks 09?

and if i can do to the same thing in iwork 09 and open edit it in MS office?

Thanks

xoxox

iWork 09' opens up the industry default formats: .doc; .ppt; .xls etc. It doesn't open MS Office 2007: .docx; .pptx; .xlsx etc. (at least I don't think it does). It also won't open OpenOffice.org (and NeoOffice) format which is .odt

If anything, the thing with OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice, a spin off is that both are free for Mac OS X, and offer just about the same features as MS Office. Plus they do save in the default formats (.doc, .ppt .xls). The thing with iWork 09 is that the suite programs feature dazzling extras and are easier to use.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hey guys .... Is it just me or did having a name like candy and signing her post with " xoxox" seem to really get her some very fine answers to her questions ?! I mean we are a very helpfull bunch but wow !;D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
Hey guys .... Is it just me or did having a name like candy and signing her post with " xoxox" seem to really get her some very fine answers to her questions ?! I mean we are a very helpfull bunch but wow !;D

Lol. Yes, this is a pretty enthusiastic thread isn't it. :p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Actually, what got me was this was a pretty easy question to answer thoroughly. Hehe.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
There is no such thing as girls on this message board :p

Reaction score
I'm just knowledgeable in office suite software, simply because I have to use it for homework assignments and the like, beats writing it out though!

Reaction score
I'm using the beta release of OnyX for Snow Leopard with zero problems...I'm just sayin'.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro unibody 2.26ghz, 4gb ram, 250 gb hard drive
There is no such thing as girls on this message board
I think i saw one one time. Op... no false alarm.

Reaction score
iWork 09' opens up the industry default formats: .doc; .ppt; .xls etc. It doesn't open MS Office 2007: .docx; .pptx; .xlsx etc. (at least I don't think it does). It also won't open OpenOffice.org (and NeoOffice) format which is .odt

If anything, the thing with OpenOffice.org and NeoOffice, a spin off is that both are free for Mac OS X, and offer just about the same features as MS Office. Plus they do save in the default formats (.doc, .ppt .xls). The thing with iWork 09 is that the suite programs feature dazzling extras and are easier to use.

I use NeoOffice regularly on my Mac to make Word files. It works fine for me.
KB.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.