Anyone use a pen tablet for all work indesign etc

Reaction score
Hi, was wandering if pen tablets are good for all navigation or only for illustrator etc, Many thanks
sam

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
You never really only use a tablet when working. I always have one hand on the keyboard to quickly switch tools.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBP, 2.26GHz, 8gb RAM
Some people always use them and never use a mouse or trackpad. I'd find that really annoying to be honest... I'm left handed so I often use a mouse and a tablet at the same time! Kinda handy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
You never really only use a tablet when working. I always have one hand on the keyboard to quickly switch tools.

Same here..

I have a Wacom tablet and I love it for Illustrator/Photoshop work. It feels more natural to me and I find I'm more accurate and quicker with using one.

I still use a mouse sometimes, but generally when I'm designing, I have one hand using the tablet and one on the keyboard for shortcuts.

CrimsonRequiem

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.3 Ghz 4GB RAM 860 GB SSD, iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB RAM, Fusion Drive 1TB
Some people always use them and never use a mouse or trackpad. I'd find that really annoying to be honest... I'm left handed so I often use a mouse and a tablet at the same time! Kinda handy.

Have you looked at the Wacom Intuos4? They are finally catering to lefties, finally. ^-^"

Reaction score
tablets are pretty nice to have, especially for design. the only designers that don't really use tablets too much (this is just in my observation), are package designers. Some people like it, some people don't, but if you're going into key art or heavy photoshop work, you'll need one!

I guess another factor would be .. can you draw traditionally? If you don't, then.. a tablet might be hard to work with.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
old Dual 2.0 G5, new(er) ibook, old ibook, Mac Plus
Once you get used to one (it doesn't take long) they can be your primary input device especially if you are using Illustrator or Photoshop all day long too. I haven't used a mouse in over 2 years at work until just recently when I started using Maya. It works best with a 3 button mouse :( At home I still use a mouse but it just don't feel right.

Good luck
Matt

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.