Dell or a Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz,1GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive...Upgrades to be made when i get my Mac.
Hi, i've not had a proper chance to introduce myself.. :)

So i been scouting around in the UK, looking for a Macbook. I've been looking to get one for quite a while. I got a few friends with there own Mac and they say it's the best purchase they have made for a computer! Recently i've come across a deal by my brother......

Dell Inspiron 1750 Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz with 1GB RAM and 160GB Hard drive.

The Mac that i found was: Macbook White Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz with 1GB RAM and 120GB Hard Drive...only thing is it's refurbished. I'll probably upgrade RAM to either 2-4GB anyway. :D

The Dell costs 275 pounds but the Mac costs 500 pounds. I'm not bothered about the prices but i'm more drawn to the Mac, i thought i'm a part of this expert forum so i think i should ask :)
So i'm just hoping if you could advise me on what to get and if they will be any problems with the Mac being Refurbished!
Thanks in advance :p ;D
P.S. It's refurbished by a authorized seller.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You need to make the critical decision; Mac or PC. However, as far as the refurbished Mac goes, the only refurbished Mac I would ever dare to buy would be direct from Apple. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with purchasing a refurbished Mac for 500 £ from an "authorized reseller".

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Intel iMac 2.4 Ghz/3G Ram/320HD, Snow Leopard. PBook G4, 1.5Ghz/1.5 Ram/250 HD, Leopard 10.5.6.
Oh get the Mac for sure.
Dell are the budget end of the market, by quite a way, and a refurbished Mac should have a guarantee with it, which will probably be the equal of the Dell.

To be honest everyone here will say get the Mac!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
However, as far as the refurbished Mac goes, the only refurbished Mac I would ever dare to buy would be direct from Apple. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with purchasing a refurbished Mac for 500 £ from an "authorized reseller".

Regards.

I ABSOLUTELY agree! Refurbished directly from Apple...no problem! Refurbished from someone else....ehhh!:Confused:

The term "refurbished" really gets abused...and thus a person or dealer saying that a computer is refurbished...their refurbishing process could be a little as it's powers up ok, and cleaning it up a bit.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Note: Merged Duplicate Threads

Reaction score
You need to make the critical decision; Mac or PC. However, as far as the refurbished Mac goes, the only refurbished Mac I would ever dare to buy would be direct from Apple. I'm not sure I would be comfortable with purchasing a refurbished Mac for 500 £ from an "authorized reseller".

Regards.

I agree. I'd go with the PC, because trusting that "reseller" isn't a good idea on your part.

Mac's are indeed better and more reliable, but you don't want to waste your money.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook, Orange-Clip iPod Shuffle
MAC is way better than Dell. Just wait in 2 months your brand new Dell will have 11 viruses, and you will be frustrated with computer problems.

Reaction score
Isn't it true that if this authorized reseller, messes up with selling you a faulty Mac, they have to rectify that mistake?

And if they don't they jeopardize their "reselling authorization"?

Reaction score
It's funny how one helps people and nothing happens but when you make one slip, they're waiting in line to deduct some points.... thanks who ever you are...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.1 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo 250gb
your best bet is to go with the mac because
- u won't really have to worry about viruses
- since its an aurthorized reseller they will not sell a product that will jeopardize them losing their license
- if the macbook doesn't work then there is definately a warranty
- and i have had the macbook you are buying for two years and have not had one issue other than the fact that i spilled tea on it and had to fix some things but that was my own fault
- if your going to upgrade the memory thats a great idea and if not u will still be perfectly fine

good luck!:D

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Soon - Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz,1GB RAM, 120GB Hard Drive...Upgrades to be made when i get my Mac.
Hey thanks everyone for replying, i've seen and researched quite abit about them, contacted them...they pay through paypal and have a warranty on it, something like 90 day money back thing if i dislike the product..and a years warranty. It never really came to my mind but thanks for mentioning the method of checking if it's refurbished :D i'll contact the person an interrogate him ;D i'm quite sick and tired of Windows, hearing everyones views on Mac,i want the change! Alot of products have been bought of them because i have enquired about other things but they have said it's been sold....and feedback has been left..only Positive...they also sell on Amazon...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
As a Dell Latitude user during business career as a Marketing Manager only one suggestion - get the MacBook. Still use the Latitude from time to time.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Get the Dell. I hear their help desk support number in India is awesome.

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
what has the seller done to make it refurbished?

Im not exactly sure,but all there products are Refurbished, from Macs to iPods/iPhones

OP
T
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Get the Dell. I hear their help desk support number in India is awesome.

Personally, i dont want to base it on 'desk support' , just want the better laptop :) Thanks anyway. ;)

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
If you can tolerate Windows, go with the Dell. No need to learn a new operating system and have to repurchase software you already own. But if you're ready for a change and want something different and are willing to invest the time into learning something new, the Mac can be very rewarding.

Although most of us here love our Macs, I think we can all agree that it's not for everyone. We've all seen stories of people switching, only to find themselves trying to get their Mac to behave like a Windows machine - which simply defeats the point. If you don't do well with change and be happy with another Windows machine, go for it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15 Inch MacBook Pro. 2.4 GHz. 2GB RAM. 250GB Hardrive.
If you can tolerate Windows, go with the Dell. No need to learn a new operating system and have to repurchase software you already own. But if you're ready for a change and want something different and are willing to invest the time into learning something new, the Mac can be very rewarding.

Although most of us here love our Macs, I think we can all agree that it's not for everyone. We've all seen stories of people switching, only to find themselves trying to get their Mac to behave like a Windows machine - which simply defeats the point. If you don't do well with change and be happy with another Windows machine, go for it.

In a simpler context, if it ain't broke don't fix it!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.