To VMFUSION not to VMFusion

Reaction score
Hey guys I know that yall said to VMFusion was one of the better software to run Windows inside of a MAC, well I love my macbook but i really havent gotten to get into it to deeply I still primarly use my PC mostly for Work, and gamming at home, Iam trying to use my MB alot more though, long story short is there are a couple of Windows apps I need on my laptop Radmin being one for work, but I heard there is an upgrade coming out for VMFusion at the end of the month the upgrade will cost 40 bucks, would it be wise to wait for the new version to come out and just buy that at retail will it still be 80 bucks? Or will the update be even worth buying?

Thanks guys

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MBP C2D 2.8 4GB OS X 10.8 | iPhone 5
Just use Bootcamp it's much smoother and will run windows just like on a PC you won't even notice you're on a Mac besides the fact that Mac runs windows smoother than any PC I've ever been on. I'm not sure about the VMF upgrade you are talking about. I would switch to using Bootcamp though. I use it and I love this MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
An upgrade license for VMWare Fusion 3 (to be released October 27) is available to customers that already own a version of VMWare Fusion and will cost 39.99. A new license for the product will cost 79.99.

Be the first to get VMware Fusion 3

Reaction score
Ugh. $80 for VMWare huh? I think I've seen it cheaper at Best Buy.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33 4GB: MacPro 8 Core 2.8, 16GB: MacMini 2.26 4GB: MacMin 2.53 4GB: iPhone3GS 32GB
Ugh. $80 for VMWare huh? I think I've seen it cheaper at Best Buy.

Yeah, good point. I have seen Parallels bundled sometimes with other software deals. I am sure if you search around enough you wouldn't have to take the 80 dollar hit.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
LogicBox
Reaction score
But how well does Virtualbox run? I really dont want to do Bootcamp just cause I really dont want to have to boot back n forth from on OS to the Other if its something quick i need, mostly they only reason i will need windows on it, is for work and its nothing graphic entensive. I still have a PC as my primary home desktop, as I am still trying to find time to dive deeper into my MB :D

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
VirtualBox works well. Not as sophisticated or frilly as Fusion or Parallels, but it's getting better with each version. Now at 3.0.8. Give it a try - nothing to lose but some time.

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
VirtualBox works well. Not as sophisticated or frilly as Fusion or Parallels, but it's getting better with each version. Now at 3.0.8. Give it a try - nothing to lose but some time.

Regards.

Agreed.

I've recently switched to VirtualBox and couldn't be happier.

On my MacBook it seems to startup, run and shutdown faster than Fusion or Parallels. Doesn't have all the bells and whistles but I just use it for the odd app I've not been able to replace under OSX.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
White MacBook. iLife '09. iWork '09. Mac OS X 10.6
chscag beat me to it! I second VirtualBox.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Model Identifier: iMac9,1 Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor Speed: 2.66 GHz
Just use Bootcamp it's much smoother and will run windows just like on a PC you won't even notice you're on a Mac besides the fact that Mac runs windows smoother than any PC I've ever been on.

With Bootcamp you are using EITHER Windows or the Mac - with VMFusion, Parallels or VirtualBox you have both machines at the same time and (at least in the case of VMF, which I use) switching from the Windows machine to the Mac is just a matter of pressing a key - and I'm using both systems simultaneously practically all the time.

Having said that - if I'd heard about it at the time, I'd have given VirtualBox a try, since others seem to find it works fine.

Check out this VMware: Team Fusion: VMware Fusion 3 “The Best Way to Run Windows on the Mac” Coming October 27th for what's new in VMF 3 - specifically optimised for Snow Leopard and capable of launching Windows 7

Reaction score
I like VMfusion better than anything. I don't like Bootcamp as you have to reboot just to get to windows. The good thing about VMFusion is that you can run just about any OS through it. The web site even has preloaded appliances (Linux or other type free OSs). I like the ability to just switch to the desktop that has VMfusion on it and run what I have to for work and then jump back to OSX. I don't do anything graphic intensive but for everyday surfing and office apps it works for what I need. If you know somebody that is a student or a teacher you can get an educators discount at some of the online stores that sell it. I got my copy for about 35 bucks as my wife is a teacher. Good luck.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.