• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

During editing, is it better to work from external HD or internal HD?

Reaction score
Hi,

When you are working on a new video editing project, do you save all of your clips on an external HD and work on them from there? Or do you save all the clips on your computer's HD and work on them from there?

Being a novice, I would have assumed working from the computer's HD would be best, but recently someone told me to work from the external HD to maximize computer performance.

Thanks for your input.

Reaction score
Internal drives are faster and give better performance than external drives. Only FW800 and eSATA drives should be used as external drives.

BUT, the media must go on a secondary drive, NOT the system drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1
Keep the media on an ext HD because, even though we can't see it, the computer is really busy writing to and reading from the int HD while you are editing. At the same time, it has to access the media. It goes much faster if the media is on the ext.

OP
D
Reaction score
Just so that I have this correct ... I should put the video clips I shoot on the external drive, but save the project on the internal HD?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro (late 2008), OS 10.6.2, FCE 4.0.1, CS 1
FCE will default to put the project file in Documents. Leave it there. Double click the ext HD and create a folder such as "FCE Project." Open FCE and select System Settings. Select Scratch Disk. Select Set. Select "FCE Project." Rock and roll.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.