• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie stops 2 minutes short of full import

Reaction score
I'm trying to import from a DVD of a niece's recital. I don't have access to the camera it was taken with, so importing from that is not an option.

I did an initial web search to determine how to do this (I'm a fairly new Mac user) and found something that at first glance seemed to work well. I used the utilities and created a .cdr file and double clicked that - a window opened in iMovie that showed all of the clips (in 3 minute segments). I clicked on "Import All" and it did that with no problem.

When I went into iMovie after it was finished, I found that the last two minutes weren't there - in addition, although the rest of the movie WAS there, the clips seemed to be in a random order, not sequential as they should be. I proceeded to drag them into a project in the correct order then realized the end was missing (the most important part since it was a tribute to her late father). I rechecked the DVD and the .cdr and the last two minutes ARE present on both.

I then tried the process again and found that when the initial window opens it displays one hour of video (broken up into three minute segments). The total amount of time that I want to import is one hour and 2 minutes - and the last two minutes weren't included here in this window, which is why they weren't imported when I said to "Import All".

Is there some kind of limit on how much can be imported at once (60 minutes maybe)? Has anyone else seen this problem (or the problem of the clips being imported in no particular order)? I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but obviously I don't know that for certain.

Is my best bet to instead try software to rip the contents of the DVD, then convert them to .MOV and import (or something similar)?

Any help that you can provide is greatly appreciated!!!!

THANKS!!
Gary

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.